Chapter Twelve

April

In April I sang you to sleep.

Michael stirred, a small noise interrupting his sleep. The blue haired boy fluttered his eyes open, furrowing his eyebrows tiredly as he looked around. A small cry of pain had Michael jumping up from the couch, walking quickly up the stairs and into his own room, where Luke was sleeping.

The blonde clutches the blankets in his small hands, his knuckles turning white. Michael furrows his eyebrows as Luke whimpered in his sleep, his badly twisting and turning in the bed. Michael walked up to the bed and slowly sat down on the edge, taking the blondes hips in his hands and gently pulling his body onto his lap. The cried out again, sobbing and swinging his hands around in his sleep.

"N-n-no I-I'm sorry. I-I'll be g-good"
Luke sobbed, pounding at Michaels chest, still asleep.

"Shh. Sweetheart wake up"
Michael gently cooed. Luke continuously cried out and slammed his small fists against Michaels chest. His mouth would gap open then close, tears falling from his closed eyes, as his eyebrows furrowed. Michael wrapped his arms around the blonde and squeezed his smaller body to his chest, gently shushing him.

"Luke. Sweetheart you need to
wake up. I need you to wake up"
Michael said a bit louder, slightly shaking the blonde. Luke stirred, his sobs turning into small sniffles as his eyes fluttered open. Luke's breathing was shaky, his bottom lip trembling as he looked up at Michael. It took Luke all of three seconds to have his arms and legs tightly wrapped around Michaels sitting figure. The blue haired boy sighed, wrapping his arms around Luke's waist and holding him tightly against his own body.

"Shh, you're okay now. I'm here baby"
Michael whispered, running his hands up and under the tee shirt Luke was wearing- which he recognized as his own ADTR band tee. Luke kept his face buried in Michaels neck, he moved his skinny arms down to rest between Michaels and his own stomach as Michael held him closer.

"Was it your uncle?"
Michael gently asked. All Luke did was nod weakly, fisting Michaels shirt in his hands.

"M-M-Mikey?"
Luke sounded hesitant and unsure as he stuttered out Michaels voice, his voice weak and strained.

"What do you need, sweetheart?"
Michael asked, running his fingers through Luke's hair and gently running his nails against his scalp. Luke seemed to like it as he leaned into Michaels hand. Michael smiled gently, running his fingers over Luke's scalp continuously.

"C-can yo-you s-s-sing to me?"
Luke asked shyly. Michael smiled softly.

"Of course. Lay back down"
Michael instructed quietly. Luke looked at him with teary eyes, his bottom lip still shaking.

L-l-lay w-with me?"
Luke asked. Without replying, Michael smiled and laid his back on the bed, pulling Luke down with him. Luke signed in relief, stretching his legs out and pushing his body against Michaels side.  Michael wrapped an arm under Luke's head, allowing the blonde to rest his head on the blue haired boys shoulder. The blue haired boy ran his fingers through Luke's hair, wrapping his other arm around the blondes waist.

"Oh oh,
Oh oh,
Oh oh,
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

Don't talk, let me think it over
How we gonna fix this?
How we gonna undo all the pain?
Tell me, is it even worth it?
Looking through a straight line
Taking back the time we can't replace"  Michael sang softly.

Luke didn't know what he fell asleep to; Michaels soft singing, his thumb running over his hip bones, or the soothing scratching the his head. Whatever it was, it put Luke into a deep, peaceful sleep, his hand fists in Michaels tee shirt and his legs entwined with the blue haired boys.

Michael knew what he fell asleep to. The older boy fell asleep to the soft breaths that puffed out of Luke's parted lips. Michael found it comforting and wonderful that he could put the blonde back to sleep after having a nightmare.

Michael loved that.

And so did Luke.