Chapter 11 ~ Out of the frying-pan and into the fire

Start from the beginning

"Whiii, look Matt I'm moving!" Kate suddenly exclaimed, her voice happy. I turned my gaze on her again and could immediately feel me eyes widen.

Holy hell she was too far out!

It was probably a very strong current further out because I could see her moving quickly away from me. Fucking...

Before I could think I threw myself completely into the ice cold water and hissed as I began to swim towards her with strong strokes. I'll be damned if I let her get swept away by the current. Who knew how far she'd float! Dammit I should have been more careful!

When I finally managed to reach her I gently laced an arm around her waist under the water and turned to swim back the way we'd come. It was just that the current was stronger than I thought it would be and it was too difficult to swim properly with Kate in my arms.

"Dammit!" I cursed as we began to float further away from the beach. This did not look good...

When I raised my eyes to look at the beach again I could see someone standing at the edge and I immediately felt a strange calmness overtake my anxiety.

"Ethan! Help!" I yelled, the figure on the beach immediately taking notice of our heads in the water and before I could say anything he had entered the water.

"No Ethan stay there the current is too strong!" I yelled, trying to make him realize the problem before he reached us and got stuck too. It didn't seem like he heard me or he was simply ignoring me because a minute later he was on arms length from us. When he reached us Ethan immediately wrapped a strong arm around my waist, just like I had with Kate a few moments before, and if I didn't have more urgent things to think of I would've probably blushed by the close proximity.

"Dammit Ethan now you're stuck too! Why didn't you listen to me?!" I whined, my free arm taking a hold of his shoulder without me thinking much about it. Ethan gave me a questingly glance and then he simply studied my face intensely.

"Are you okay?" He asked and I could feel my eyes follow his when his hands lightly skimmed down my body looking for any possible injuries.

"I... I'm fine... I just couldn't get us back to the beach.... the current is too strong." I said sheepishly, my cheeks gaining color when his hands kept brushing over my body underneath the water. Oh my... had I frightened him with my 'help me'- yelling?

"Thank God I thought you guys got hurt or something." Ethan sighed in relief, confirming my suspicions. I gave him an apologizing look, glancing at his worried face from underneath my lashes.

He was really worried about me and I had been stupid to think I could help Kate by myself. I felt a bit foolish, I mean how many times hadn't teachers and parents told us that we should never attempt to save someone already in the water by ourself? You were supposed to call for help and then use a branch or something to reach the person in the water. You definitely wasn't supposed to enter the water and get stuck too...

"I'm sorry Ethan..." I mumbled, moving my body a bit closer to his and burying my face against his neck. We were still floating further away from the beach but I felt like Ethan didn't really care when he simply sneaked his arms around my waist and pulled me even closer.

"Hush now, there's nothing to be sorry about. If anything I'm happy since, this way, I get to hold you without you struggling to get away from me." Ethan said, chuckling when I slapped his arm and frowned at him. After a second my frown turned into a pout and I tugged Kate in-between us to avoid having Ethan press up against me too intimately.

"Oh nooo... you and Ash are both the same! You're so mean for using me as a shield like this! Let me go!" Kate whined, squirming between Ethan and me. I couldn't help laughing at her pouting face and I could see Ethan grin down at her.