Prologue

"Babe, your coffee is getting cold." Sasha hollered as I was waking our one year old kids, Ashley and Avery.

I sighed. It feels like it's been forever since I first felt them stirring in my stomach. Well, Ashley was. Our first daughter was Ashley Marie Pieterse Mitchell, and she is rapidly growing and now, she can giggle and blurt incoherent words.

Avery Marshall Pieterse Mitchell was carried by my wife but he's biologically mine. There wasn't a doubt about it though. His hair was dark brown, his eyes are hazel and he has light brown skin. While Ashley is blonde and blue-eyed with light skin. They were angels sent to me by God.

"Hey, babies. Your Mommy made breakfast for all of us and she'll be pissed if you guys don't wake up soon."

As I said that, Avery opened his soulful hazel eyes slowly and he smiled at me, showing his pair of teeth. He giggled as I stuck my tongue at him. Hearing his adorable voice, Ashley stirred and with a scowl, she smacked her brother straight on his face. Avery started sniffling and his sobs were getting louder. I picked him up then danced around while singing him a lullaby. Ashley started crying out of jealousy, not understanding why her brother gets to be carried while she was stuck on her bed.

"Babe. Can you please tend to Ashley?"

She sighed. "What did you do now?"

She entered the room and took Ashley out of their shared crib. But instead of fixing the problem, it made things even worse. Ashley cried harder and extended her arms to reach out for me.

"Oh shit. Carry Ash, I'll take Aves."

We switched the babies we were carrying and Ashley stopped crying immediately. Avery whimpered but he stayed quiet.

Sasha sighed. "It's obvious you're the kids' favorite."

"That's not true, baby. I bet when they grow up a bit, they'll love you much more than they love me. Just give them a little time."

"You're so cheesy." She laughed. "Come on, let's eat. I have our day planned out perfectly so we'll be busy." She smirked.

"Does that plan involve you and me, naked and lying on our bed?" I asked.

"Shush." She shook her head. "The kids will hear." She winked. "But we'll see."

"Mm. Can't wait." I pecked her lips.

We left the children's room and we went into the dining room to eat our late breakfast. There was bacon, pancakes and eggs on the oak table and two steaming mugs of coffee.

"Whoa. First off, babe. You love having fruits and oatmeal for breakfast, anything with grease is a huge no." I laughed. "Besides, what am I gonna feed these buggers?"

She rolled her eyes at me. "Ever heard of Cerelac? And besides, this day is for you. I'll eat whatever the hell you want to eat."

"Aw..." I cooed, planting a chaste kiss on her lips. "That's really cheesy Sasha."

I strapped Ashley on her pink and green highchair while Sasha did the same for Avery in his olive green and blue one. Sasha took out their bowls and filled them with Cerelac mixture that she pre-made. I took their sippy cups and filled them with apple juice. Sasha stopped and stared at Avery halfway through sitting down on her chair.

"What's wrong, Sash?" I asked worriedly.

"Avery is a real smart boy. Look at him, he was the first one to actually say something and he's feeding himself now. He's a great kid."

I looked at Avery. Sure enough, he was trying to spoon some of the formula into his mouth. He was failing miserably, creating a huge mess but for a year old, he was really trying.