Chapter 1 -We can be friends

Start from the beginning

The other students begin to arrive, and like usual, the names are marked off, whilst everyone quickly catches up after the weekend, and I continue to stare out the window, wishing that I could fade away and cease to exist. It was the same almost everyday. But little did I know that this would be the day that I would meet the boy who would change my life forever...
*
*
*
Phil's POV
"Are you sure that you don't want me to walk in with you?" My brother Martyn asks for the millionth time.

"Yes, I'll be fine. And besides, I don't want you ruining my chance of making new friends" I joked, and he rolled his eyes as he drove into the parking lot of our new school. I quickly got out of the car after thanking him for the lift, and took a deep breath as I approached the Administrators's office. I quietly walked up to the front desk, and cleared my throat awkwardly to get the attention of the old, grumpy woman at her computer. She looked up at me and stood up as she handed me my timetable.

"You must be Phil Lester. Well, enjoy your first day" She said to me and I thanked her and walked out of the administrators office. I started heading for my homeroom, but I suddenly bumped into someone and fell on my ass, my books going everywhere.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Let me help you" A boy's voice said to me. I looked up and came face to face with a boy who looked about my age. He had brown hair and brown eyes, and was wearing a blue jumper with black jeans. He quickly helped me pick up my things and pulled me up onto my feet.

"Thanks..um"

"Chris. Chris Kendall. The geek king of this school. And you must be the new kid...what's your name?"

"Phil" I replied with a smile. Chris went to say something, but was cut off my the bell. "See you around Phil."

"Okay, seeya." I then continue on my way to homeroom, and gulped nervously as I pushed open the door and walked up to the teacher.

"Ah, you must be Phil Lester, the new kid. There is a spot for you up in the back row. We hope you enjoy your first day at your new school." He informed, and I walked up the back and stopped when I reached the seat the teacher had pointed to, and looked at the boy sitting next to the window. He had brown hair and was wearing all black. He looked up at me with his dull, brown eyes that seemed to be full of sadness and didn't speak.

"Is this seat taken?" I asked and he shook his head in response and I sat down next to him. He continued to stare out the window and ignore me, and I looked at him with curiosity. Why wasn't he speaking to me? Who is he? Why does he seem so sad and done with life?
*
*
*

"Who is that?" I asked Chris, Pj, Jack and Dean. I was sitting with them at lunch and found myself staring at the broken boy, who was sitting alone with his earphones in his ears. They all looked at him and sighed sadly. By the way, Pj, Jack and Dean are friends with Chris, and they had invited me to eat with them, which was nice of them.

"That's Dan Howell" Chris informed.

"Why does he look so sad?"

"Well, no one really knows for sure. I think it's because he is bullied by some of the kids after his step-father who I think is an alcoholic, told them that he was Bi, and all of them turned on him for being different" Pj explained. "I once was walking past his house, and I saw him being hit by his step-dad."

"What happened to his actual Dad?"

"I don't know, I think he died though." We fell silent, and my eyes suddenly met his and I looked away. This boy was beyond broken, and almost no one was there for him, I wish there was something I could do...

Dan's POV
I sat alone as I looked around at the other tables. Everyone was sitting at their usual spot and I sat alone like I did everyday, listening to my music. The groups would go like this,

1. The popular group: Zoe, Alfie, Louise, Joe, Caspar, Marcus, Naomi, Tanya, Jim, Connor, Troye and Tyler.

2. The all boys group: Kian, Jc, Ricky, Sam, Trevor, Joey and Daniel.

3. The Girl team: Grace, Hannah, Ingrid, Mamrie, Jenna, and Lily.

4. The beauty gurus: Rachel, Amanda, Eva, Bethany and Lauren.

5. The gamers: Mark, Felix, Justine, Marzia. Jack, Jordan and Wade.

6. The Nerds: Chris, Pj, Jack, Dean and now Phil.

I suddenly snapped out of my thoughts when Lily sat down across from me, a big grin across her face. (Yes I am an iiSuperwomanii fan). Lily had depression like I do, and she recently managed to overcome it, and is now trying to help others, starting with me, but unlike with most girls, I can actually tolerate her.

"Hey Dan, how are you today?" She asked me.

"I'm okay."

"Made any friends yet?"

"You're my friend Lily, why should I make more friends?" Lily looked at me with sad eyes and sighed.

"Just try okay" Lily then gets up and walks back over to her friends and I sighed to myself. I got up from the table and started heading for class but I am suddenly shoved into the lockers behind me.

"Hey fatass, thought you could go a day without talking to me did you?" I gulped nervously and kept my head bowed as Kian spoke to me, his friends behind him laughing. I remained silent as I was shoved against the lockers again, the bruise on my back getting even bigger.

"Don't ignore me, speak!" He commanded, but I remained silent. He then shoved me into the lockers again and punched me in the stomach. I let out a grunt of pain and I fall to the ground. I continue to look down at the ground, and I am suddenly pulled up onto my feet as Kian grips my shirt. At this point, everyone from inside the cafeteria was watching in shock or amusement. I draw my attention back to Kian, which was a bad mistake, as he punched me in the eye, and his friends all break into laughter.

"How about you pick on somebody your own size" a familiar voice called out and I watched as the crowd parted to let him through, revealing a pissed off boy. I quickly recognize him, he was the boy from this morning. He walked over to us and stood in front of me.

"Who are you, and why are you standing up for this...fagg*t?" He asked him.

"I, am Dan's friend Phil, and what makes you think that it's okay to hurt him?" Phil responded, standing up for me.

"Because, he doesn't deserve to live. He is a fagg*t and is weak as fu*k. He is a waste of space and I'm just trying to help him realise that."

"He does deserve to live, you don't. Dan could be an amazing person but you wouldn't know that because you don't care about anyone else but yourself" I put my arm on his shoulder to get his attention.

"It's fine Phil, he's right. Just go before you get involved" I whispered to him, and I watched as Kian smirked.

"No, it's not fine. You want to hurt him, you'll have to deal with me" Phil cut me off. Kian stood there for a moment, and then walked away from us, and the rest of the people around us went away. Phil turned to me and I looked at him awkwardly.

"Thanks for standing up to Kian for me, but you didn't have to. I'm used to it by now and I'm not worth this" I thanked him.

"You are. I can see it. Look, you're probably thinking that I stood up for you because I feel sorry for you. Now whilst that is partly true, I also did it because I think that everyone deserves a friend or someone to help them through a hard time, and you look like you need a friend, can I be your friend?" I thought about it for a moment, thinking about what Lily had told me, and how it could be good for me to have a friend. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad to have a friend...

But what if he turns on you like all your old friends did? What if he's lying?

No, it'll be fine, it'll be a good change.

"Okay Phil, we can be friends"