Chapter 36: For Blue Skies

Start from the beginning

As soon as I stepped out, I speed dialed my girl. I leaned my back on the wall, faintly noticing the people passing by. I looked up at the ceiling as I waited for the call to connect. Who would've thought we'd end up like this?

After two rings, she answered.

"Oz?"

I looked down and took a deep breath, loving the sound of her voice. I wished she was here. I wanted to wrap my arms around her – maybe even smell her hair.

"He's awake."

She sighed. "How is he?"

"Hmm." I thought about it. "Emotionally sensitive."

She snorted a laugh. "Glad to know your humor is back."

The corner of my lips turned up.

"Scout dropped by the cockpit today."

My ears perked up at that.

For normal people, today was just an ordinary Monday. We originally planned to go to school, but then Sally texted us that he was awake. So we ditched school instead.

"What did he want?" I asked, not meaning for my tone to sound cold. But after failing to track down Finn McKinley, anything involving their lot was kinda taboo in my book.

"He asked me to tell you that there was no word from Finn all weekend."

I raised an eyebrow. "And he couldn't tell me that himself?"

Halo was quiet for a second, I could clearly imagine her biting her lip.

"He's trying to avoid talking to you while you're in Grinch mode."

Of course, he is.

"Pussy," I muttered.

"Oz, he's trying to help," she reminded me.

I sighed, rubbing my face. My hand traveled to the back of my neck as I looked down the hall, staring at nothing in particular.

"Yeah, I know," I admitted, turning my eyes back to the ceiling and leaning my head back till it hit the wall.

Scout was a lot of things, but he wasn't a coward. He just didn't like confrontations that he knew would lead to nowhere because of my current unpredictable state.

"I shouldn't have said that," I mumbled, closing my eyes.

I was so damn tired. Part of me seriously wanted to run away, far from this hellhole. But it wasn't like the problem was going to solve itself. I couldn't let that bastard go after what he did to one of my friends. Besides, if there was anything I was good at, it was revenge.

Better put my talents to good use.

"I'll come over later at the hospital," said Halo.

I imagined her warm smile, her purple eyes, and her raven black hair. I imagined her opening her arms and waiting for me to hug her. I imagined her voice telling me everything was going to be okay. I needed her. I needed my home.

"Can't wait," I whispered.

"Okay," she breathed out. "See you."

With a small smile, I hung up. I stared at my phone for a couple of seconds, thinking about my dork, before shoving it in my pocket. But the smile on my face disappeared when I looked up and laid eyes on a redheaded girl in the hallway.

"I heard about Frisco," she panted, gazing back at me with her worried green eyes. "Is – Is he okay? I can't believe I just found out about it today."