Chapter 6

A/n sorry for the weird tense change; I'm fixing all the chapters to be in present tense

After cleaning up the huge flour mess and eating an unhealthy amount of lasagne, we had decided to watch a movie. I don't know how it came about, but we decided to watch all of the Shrek movies in one sitting. That's four whole movies. Estimating each movie is about one and a half hours, that would make about 6 consecutive hours of watching Shrek.

Its about 2 in the morning, and we have just about finished "Shrek: Ever After" Skylar is asleep against  my legs, and Parker has his legs tucked behind my back. Skylar's head is resting on my thigh and her legs are tucked into her chest. My oversized pajama pants are pooled around her ankles in soft folds. We are both on the floor in a huge pile of pillows and blankets, Parker sits behind me on the couch.

As far as I can tell, I am the only one awake. The credits roll as "I'm a Believer" closes off the movie.

"Love was out to get me, that's the way it seemed, disappointment haunted all my dreams; then I saw her face, now I'm a believer." Skylar's jaw moves against my thigh as she sings along to the song in a groggy voice. She rolls onto her back and meets my eyes. She smiles and her half lidded eyes scrunch up.

"Not a trace, of doubt in my mind. Now I'm in love." She rattles out the next lines in a muffled voice as she rubs the sleep from her eyes. She sits up and stretches, her upper body swimming in my old soccer t-shirt. She borrowed an entire outfit from me after hers were destroyed by our would-have-been cookies. She stands up and offers her blue stained fingers to me.

I grab her hands and she yanks me up to my feet as I ask her, "what did you do to your fingers?"

"Murdered a smurf." She flashes one of her classic bullshit smirks and starts waking off in the direction of my room.

"Which one?"

"Papa smurf. He was too old to still be living, so I took him out." I laugh and shake my head.

"No, but really," I say trailing behind her down the hall, "what did you do?"

"Hair experiments. I am a hair stylist, but not one where you just show up and get your hair all done up, but one where you have to make an appointment and all that prestigious crap. I didn't go to beauty school, so I'm not sure why everyone is so impressed with my work. Yesterday I experimented with neon blue and green. It was pretty rad, if I do say so myself." She smirks and looks down at her blue tipped fingers.

"You should do my hair." I blurt without even thinking. Skylar stops in front of my door and turns to look at me. Her face emits complete bubbling excitement and she grabs my arm anxiously.

"You would let me do that?" I nod and she shakes my arm around. "Great! We should go get some dye. Do you know what stores are open right now?"

"Uh, I think Bartells is; Are we really doing this tonight?"

"Yes of course! What color do you want? I'm thinking maybe red and orange; Make you look like a flame prince."

"That sounds cool, but I was actually thinking pinks and purples. Those are my favorite colors."

"Oh, so you want to go for candy prince then. I can do that!" She slides her grip on my arm down to my wrist and tugs me to the door. She grabs her bag and a wool sweater from the coat rack. She slips her oversized slipper shoes on her feet. I don't have any shoes on, but she assures me that she has a spare pair in her car.

My flip flop clad feet shuffle along the dirty floor of the 24 hour Bartells as I follow closely behind Skylar. She scans the shelves for something that seems adequate enough to dye my hair. She picks up dye stripper, and a large bottle of conditioner.