II. Chapter 21 | Part 2 - Stone

Start from the beginning

There was a note of fear in her scent. Her muscles tensed as he turned his hand around so she could see the back of it. The back of his hand certainly looked more beastly than his palm, and he turned it over once more so that his palm was up again.

"What..." she hesitated, "What does it look like fully transformed?"

"Larger. More fur. My palm is a bit tougher now, and will thicken to an almost leathery texture."

Focusing on his muscles, he changed his hand back to its human state. Dirt coated his fingers and embedded under his nails, as the fur receded into his skin. He turned it around and back again as he leaned back on his heels and held out both of his hands to her.

"It tingles now, but the first shift is excruciating," he said, as if she should know that.

He waited for her to do something with his hands reaching out to her. He didn't know what to expect, but he hoped she'd touch them, hold them, anything that might signify acceptance to what he was. Instead, she sat there, frozen, staring at him with her heart hammering in his ears.

She's still not ready. Sighing, he lowered his hands.

[Show some tenderness, Alpha,] Alistair scolded. [She's scared. Reassure her that you're still the same person on the inside and that you won't hurt her. Brush her hair back from her face. It's simple, non-threatening, nor intrusive.]

[Agreed. Do it, Papa,] Gwen urged.

His throat rumbled as he glared at the pair from the corner of his eye. [Mind your own business.]

[Take her inside for a drink of water,] Gunner said as he got up from his plot to fetch more trays of flowers and throw out the empty ones into a plastic garbage bag.

He caught Gunner's eye and gave him an appreciative nod. He could talk to her better without them all watching him like a hawk. She would feel more comfortable too, and a cool drink might relax her and clear her head a bit.

Still taking Alistair's advice, he brushed a fallen strand of hair from her messy bun and tucked it behind her ear. "Come with me inside," he murmured as she shivered under his touch. "Please?"

She nodded, and when he stood up and reached down for her hand to help pull her up, she stared at it, chewing on her bottom lip.

His heart fell. Was she really that afraid of what he was?

Then, she grasped it and there was a nearly inaudible chorus of sighs of relief from everyone.

He wanted to feel elated by her touch, but her hesitation and lack of immediate response dominated his hurt feelings.

Pulling her to her feet, he held her hand as he led her into the kitchen and slid the glass door shut behind them. Immediately, he went to the cupboard to fetch a glass and filled it with water.

He handed her the glass. "Are you okay?"

She nodded as she took it from him, careful not to brush her fingers with his and wouldn't raise her eyes.

"Aubree?" he asked softly, waiting for her to look at him before continuing.

After several heartbeats, she tilted her head up and gave him a brave, but determined face.

"Can I hold you?"

The corner of her lips twitched before curving up slightly. "Do you have to ask?"

He pulled her into his arms as a grin tugged on his lips. "You had me worried there, but now I'm relieved."

She sighed as she leaned into his arms and wrapped her own around his body, careful not to spill the glass of water. "I know. And I'm sorry I worried you. I was just caught off guard."

"Thank the Goddess," he murmured as he kissed the top of her head.

"You guys really are warriors and not cute and cuddly wolves, huh?"

"Afraid so, Röslein," he said as he ran his hand over her pulled back hair, smoothing out the uneven bumps. "Do you wish to see what I am now?"

She shook her head. "Nope. Not now."

He tipped her chin up. "But someday?"

She swallowed, meeting his gaze. "Yeah. Someday."

Giving her a reassuring smile, he brushed his knuckles gently across her cheek. "I'll be waiting."

----

Dedicated to GabitaSant 

*Copyright Jo Lee Hunt (Joflower) 2016*