28: Bad time

Eventually Ria and Adeline stepped outside and told me it'd be okay if I went home. I told them I didn't really feel comfortable with that, and then Ria insisted she had photographic memory and would be fine.

She knew my phone number, after all, even if she didn't have a phone. I was still somewhat worried, but waiting outside was boring and coming in with them would have felt like an invasion of privacy.

I went first to check up on where Kell was, hoping to run into Micky. The ward seemed to be empty- well, besides Kell in his bed- and I retreated down to the lobby to call him up.

"We talk a lot by phone, don't we?" Micky said. "You could text me."

"Where are you?"

"Not anywhere you'd like to be, I'm going to assume. Michael's back, so I've been recalled to the central main building- you know the one- while he rants about how it's his right to kill the rebellion."

"What are you guys going to do?"

"Try to prevent Michael from killing anyone? He already stabbed Alexander coming in. We're trying to keep him away from the mortals."

"No, I mean about the rebels."

"Uh. God, I don't know? I'm more cavalry than decision maker. We're not really supposed to bomb anyone. That'd be bad PR. But I guess there have been talks about fighting back. We have to do something or they'll continue to push forward."

"Can I come over? Is that okay? I don't have any answers or anything, but I could use something to do."

"What about your sisters?"

"They're fine."

"Go ahead then. Just a warning: it's not exactly fun."

"When's the last time it was?"

Micky sounded like he was about to answer, maybe citing how much fun he had during the war, but I hung up and started walking. The hospital was at the very western edge of the city, so it was a bit of a walk to the central square.

The place was extra guarded right now, proper cerulean soldiers standing at the southern roads and extra security around the trio of main buildings.

Micky met me at the steps, unsuccessfully trying to wave me through security. I had to dig out my old ID before they cleared me.

"We're expecting a retaliation pretty soon, since you know, Michael slashed that woman in half."

"You've already drawn the first blood. What's stopping you, really, from just continuing? I know it makes the government look bad, but you know, you guys already come off as pretty shitty at base value. You probably have enough might to end things if you really wanted to."

"We are shit, thanks, and that's why we can't crush them- we don't have enough active soldiers, and probably the majority of them would turn against us if given the order to kill."

We got out of the elevator, and Micky turned to me, gripping my shoulders in that way he was fond of doing. "Good luck, by the way."

"Huh?" I said, following him into the conference room.

I guess I figured out what he meant right away. Michael was sitting at one side of the table half naked. Across from him, leaning on the wall, was a similarly half dressed Alexander- he had on his familiar long coat and boxer shorts, and was smiling smugly.

Next to Michael was a sleep deprived Christina, holding his shoulder lightly. Kelsey sat stiffly next to Glenn.

Michael was quiet right now, but I had the distinct impression he hadn't been not too long ago. He glared at me as I entered.