18. Actions Speak Louder

Dedicating this chapter to one of my regular readers & commentors, miyo10 because I know that you LOVE Adam and this chapter has loads of Adam. :D Next chapter will again be dedicated to any of the readers who comment. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 18

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER

"Mix together the seasoned flour ingredients in a large baking dish. Drain the chicken pieces and toss into the flour. Using your-"

"Hail, please lower the volume, baby," Brian said in a very sweet voice, looking towards the T.V. room from where the loud noises of some woman, who was telling the recipe of something on some cookery show, were coming.

"Sshh..." was Hailey's answer to Brian's sweet request. She waved her hands in our direction, asking us to keep our mouths shut and all the while not even taking off her eyes from the television screen.

Brian sighed heavily and I rolled my eyes at her reply and tried to continue with our game of Monopoly.

We heard someone coming downstairs, but didn't bother looking back as we were trying our best to concentrate on the game amidst all the loud noises of some lady who was being listened so attentively by Hailey.

"Hey g-" Kim's chirpy voice reached our ears, but she was cut by Hailey.

"Sshh," she shushed, waving her hand in the air and furiously jotting down whatever sh*t the lady was saying on the show. Kim raised her eyebrows in Hailey's direction clearly surprised by her action, but did a clever thing by not asking her what the matter was.

I looked at Brian, who was looking in Hailey's direction with his lips pressed in a thin line. "Seriously, why the hell are you marrying her?" I asked him. "She is so irritating."

Brian, not surprised by my question just shook his head with a smile on his face, while Kim, who was clearly offended, slapped me on my arm. "How can you say such a thing? She is your sister," she said with wide eyes.

"That's why I'm saying this. It's not easy to live with that creature sitting on the couch," I told her pointing towards my sister. The three of us looked at her, and yes, she was sitting on the couch and looking at the television screen without even blinking her eyes and jotting down the recipe of something.

Brian sighed, making Kim and me look at him. "I really can't understand why she even watches these cookery shows when she never even cooks." He chuckled and played his turn in our game.

I grinned and said, "Because I kind of insulted her by saying that she sucks at cooking."

"And now, she'll prove to you that she can cook, which she definitely can't," Brian told me grinning. "By 'proving' means you'll have to eat whatever she cooks, Keith."

I jerked back in my seat and held up my hands. "I don't have a death wish. I'm never eating anything she cooks."

"Guys," Kim butted in. "She can't be that bad."

Before Brian & I could tell her any of the numerous tales of Hailey's pathetic cooking, the subject of the topic of discussion herself entered the room. "Now, you all are going to have the best Buttermilk Fried Chicken in the entire world." She was looking at us with determination on her face and her blue eyes narrowed once they spotted me. "Keith Warren, you're going to regret the words you said earlier," she challenged me as she took steps towards us and stopped once she reached our table.

"I've the same feeling," I told her honestly, though the 'regret' she was talking about was entirely different than the 'regret' I was talking about.