15. Thinking Mode

Dedicating this chapter to Artistic_Calamity for the AWESOME banner on the side. :) Loved it!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter - 15

THINKING MODE

Tossing and turning were the only things I could do that night. Restlessness and uneasiness were all I could feel.

I closed my eyes and told myself repeatedly, "Sleep, Keith, sleep." But, my conscious didn't bother listening to me and after about twenty minutes of chanting the mantra in my head, I still couldn't sleep. Groaning in frustration, I sat up and pulled aside the blanket that was covering me in a messy way.

"I need beer," I muttered, running a hand through my already messy hair. Picking up a pullover from the couch next to my bed, I made my way towards the kitchen as quietly as I could. Waking up any of the members of the Warren family, or Kim at two in the morning, was not something I was planning to do.

The entire house was dark and silent, except for the small light in the living room that Mom always keeps alight. I quickly took out two cans of beer from the fridge and placed them on the counter.

Maybe some alcohol would help in making me sleepy. Beer was my only hope. I grinned when I opened the lid and brought the can to my lips.

"Couldn't sleep?"

I jerked a bit at the sound and snapped my head towards the kitchen door. Brian grinned, looking very pleased with my surprised reaction. I rolled my eyes at him and said sarcastically, "No, I'm planning to do robbery in the neighborhood and beer always helps. Experience speaks!"

Brian chuckled at my response and took steps towards the counter. Smiling, I pushed the other can towards him. He got seated on the chair opposite me and opened the lid of the can. Both of us took a sip together and let out a contended sigh, once the alcohol was down our throats.

"This is exactly what she would have said," Brian muttered, shaking his head in amazement and took a gulp of beer again.

I looked at him questioningly and asked, "What?"

He showed his white teeth as he grinned again and said, "Nothing."

Letting the matter go, I finished my can and but still, I was not feeling good. I stood up and took out one more can from the refrigerator. "Want one more?" I asked Brian over my shoulder.

"No," he said and I went to sit opposite him again.

"Why are you awake at this time?" I asked him, opening the lid of the can.

He took a sip and once it was down his throat, he answered, "I heard some door open, and thought it's some robber, but, tsk... it was you." He made a disappointing noise and shook his head in disapproval.

A chuckle escaped my lips and I asked, "You wanted some robber to be here right now?"

"I'm not saying that, I just wanted some entertainment," he defended himself, keeping his can on the table and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yeah, right." I laughed lightly.

When Hailey started dating him in her first year of college, I was still in sophomore year. Earlier, I tried to act like a protective brother to Hailey and tried to interrogate him like an FBI officer, even though, he was taller and huger than me, back then. I was the one who asked him too many questions, instead of my father. As I grew up and started seeing him around more often, I was sure that he was 'the one' for Hailey, as Hailey always mentioned this 'the one' crap. Brian and I, have been very comfortable with each other since a long time now. I was glad that Hailey found him. They were good together.