Chapter Three

Michael's POV

I was sitting on the plane, Taylor leaning her head on my shoulder. If she hadn't been sleeping I bet she'd have read all of my fear for the oncoming mission. I still don't understand it. Why would Quentin, Tara, and Torstyn rebel against Hatch? It didn't make any sense. But, here we were, on a plane, trying to save some of my worst enemies from my worst enemy. Yippee.

I started ticking as we hit some turbulence. I guess I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Michael Vey. Until months ago, I had a nice, quiet life with my mom. Then it all went kinda funky. Like seeing Ostin in his clogging outfit. That was hilarious. Taylor, the cutest girl in school, saw me use my powers against the bully, Jack, and his cronies. Then she hung out with me and was kidnapped. Just my luck. The same day, my mom was kidnapped. Gee, you sure have a great streak, Michael. I know. Later, Ostin, Jack, Wade and I were driving across the country, then to Peru, later to Mexico, and our most recent escapade was Asia. All against Hatch and his Glows. Hmm. Anything else? Oh yeah. I'm electric. I travel around saving the world with other electric people. And I have Tourette's. Makes me tick and gulp and lots of other embarrassing things. Whatever.

I felt the plane going down and Taylor's head shot off my shoulder, a panicked look in her eyes. "Michael," She looked a little desperate, "What's happening?"

Everyone else was looking around, confused. I watched, strapped into my seat as we crashed through the trees. There was no way to explain how we weren't being hurt. Maybe our luck was getting better. Then everyone screamed as half of the plane was ripped and lost in the canopy of the rainforest. Maybe not. We landed on the ground and we all groaned, getting up. 

Ian suddenly shouted, "The Elgen are coming!"

He was only just too late. A dozen soldiers had us surrounded. McKenna flared at three of the soldiers trying to grab her while Zeus took out the rest. We had no time to make sure if they were unconscious, or dead. McKenna looked like she could pass out at any moment. Ostin and Jack were keeping her upright and they started to run, "We need to get her water. And fast!"

Ian led us through the rainforest. "This way, guys! I see a river. There's someone else there too. He's not Elgen, but it's still a little risky. Michael?" 

Everyone looked at me. I hated how they always looked at me for answers. Like, What if I choose wrong and get them all killed? I shuddered at the thought. Taylor gripped my hand tighter. Ugh. I've got to work on remembering I've got a telepathic girlfriend. She shot me a smirk. Dang it.

I made up my mind, "I say we check it out. McKenna's not looking too good." It was true. She was pale and barely had enough energy to stand. On that happy note, we approached the camper.

We stopped at the edge of the forest. He'd made his tent on the flat area near the riverbank, clear of shrubbery. I couldn't see him, but I knew Ian could. I leaned over to him and whispered, "What's he look like?"

Ian took a while to respond, "Well, he's got black hair and sea green eyes. He's also really fit, but lean. Like he works out."

I take a moment to think that over. Ian had just enough time to whisper, "He's coming out," before the figure exited the tent. The girls gasped. I could see why. The dude was really good looking. Don't you dare take that the wrong way. He looked like the popular jock type. What was he doing alone in the rainforest? It didn't matter. What mattered was that he was here, and he had water. 

He ran a hand through his messy, jet black hair. He looked at us, and his eyes narrowed. What did he see? He spoke in a deep voice, "Who's there?" 

None of us responded. We were all staring at him. His eyes were like a never ending storm, swirling around in internal turmoil. I'm so proud of myself. That was deep.