1

You can wonder about the existence of Adelaides. You could wonder about how the first one ever came to be. Or why and how she left.

Of course, you could also ponder the existence of Olivias.

Or mirrors.

And what's hidden inside of them.

One of those names was a name at one time belonging to me.

But names and mirrors.

They are both a tricky thing.

I can wonder about the things that happened to me. And why and how they did. I can try and determine the steps that led me up to it. But perhaps the only thing that led me at all was the choice.

One can always wonder about the question of the choice. Especially when it comes to the choice of something so fated as a name. But it couldn't have been too hard a choice.

It was an obvious one I think.

All it needed was a face and a mind.

And two of those things already belonged to the name Olivia. Or Olivia belonging to them.

So it wouldn't be hard to choose.

No. It couldn't be.

Because when it comes to the existence of Adelaides, there is nothing stopping the choice. Once the choice has been made, there is only the irony of a blank slate and awaited destinies.

And it was a perfect choice. A perfect choice indeed. I don't see how any other choice could have been more perfect.

All it needed was an agreement from the mirror.

But still, I could have been dreaming of a life belonging to me.

And not to her.

Dear Adelaide,

           I don't know why you chose me.