14

Arriving back at the house was like a living nightmare. Oh who was I kidding? I was already in the living nightmare. Who knew where my parents were. What were they doing? Were they ordering around the officers, forcing them to look for us day and night? If I was being honest with myself, I knew they wouldn't be sleeping, unless the exhaustion took over, forcing them to sleep. Maybe it was a crazy dream that I was having.

       "Summer, did you even hear what I just said?" Nicole asked snapping me out of my thinking state and I shook my head. Truth was, I hadn't been listening for the last hour, and I could tell Nicole was getting angry.

       "What I said was, we can't escape now. It's not possible." She said, letting out a loose air of breath, her eyes snapping down to the floor.

         "You don't think I know that?" I hissed, glaring at her. How many times had we talked about this now? Five? Ten? Twenty? She brought it up every night and to be truthful, it was really annoying. I didn't need to be reminded every day and night. But to be honest, I know knew how she felt.  It must be annoying when I'm not listening, being the selfish person I am and day dreaming about the reality that I wished I was in.

        "Ok, well..I think we just need to go to sleep." She slowly said, snapping her eyes back up.

      "Su—"

     I was cut off when a bang came from downstairs, causing me to jump up and run down the stairs, every nerve on end.

       A girls screamed erupted through the house as I threw the door open and ran across the clearing, nearly tripping down the last flight of stairs.

        I paused at the corner of the doorway, leaning so I could see them, without them seeing me.

        A girl laid on the floor, coughing, her tears dripping to the floor as the man leaned over her, the crazed look in his eyes. Yep. He was definitely drunk.

       "Welcome to the family." He whispered gently, yanking her up by her arm. I heard it pop, and I shivered, forcing myself to stay where I was.

       "P-please let me go." She whispered in pain, tears gathering in her eyes.

      "This is your new family though Pumpkin." He whispered softly again, running his hand through her hair.

      I opened my mouth to say something when I slammed it closed. What was I gonna say?

       "I have a-a family that needs me. A family that already loves and cares for me." She whispered, her soft brown eyes looking up. She looked like she was fourteen or maybe thirteen.

        "We care and love you. We can provide so much more for you here. Your other family is dirt now. You don't have another family, this is your only family." He said picking up a green bottle, taking a swig from it.

         "Pl—please. I'm begging you." She whispered, her eyes widening, her voice becoming weaker.

        "I never like children who begged. They're annoying. Now, I'm going to go grab Autumn, she'll show you to your room." He muttered, slamming the bottle down, his eyes holding a deep anger.

       "I DON'T WANT TO DO ANYTHING! I WANT TO GO HOME! D–do you not understand that?" She whimpered, her voice dropping.

      "I don't know who you think you're talking too, but that will NOT be tolerated." He murmured, whirling around, jerking his arm out, punching her right across the face.

       She let out a squeal when hands grabbed my back, causing me to whirl around, looking down to see Paisley.

      "He's going to kill her." She whispered, her eyes going wide. Something in them flashed before she dashed out, blocking the man from punching the girl in the face again. Paisley got the full blow right into her jaw, causing her to scream in pain. This wasn't going to turn out good.