Chapter 13

Logan

I threw myself into work my first week back from Paris, hoping to distract myself from the fact that Ava hadn't called me since I left that voicemail. I wished there was a way for me to track her down, but knowing her, she wouldn't be too impressed. It was nine in the morning on Friday when my father walked into my office with some paperwork.

"Good morning," he said.

"Morning."

"You're in early. In fact, you've been coming in early and staying late this whole week. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, just busy. What's the paperwork for?" I asked pointing to the small stack in his hand.

"Oh, it's the resume of the intern I paired you up with," he explained placing the resume on my desk.

"I'm being paired up with someone?"

"Yes, we selected a few more than we thought and it'll be good for you and the intern. You obviously have ample amount of experience and you're great with clients," he explained. His comment makes me think how I handled the Victoria situation. I don't think he would be saying those things if he knew.

I looked down at the resume. The name Avalon Wilde stood out in bold at the top of the page. I continued to read through the resume. Her name was unique and her qualifications were even more impressive. I could see why my dad chose her to be an intern, but I'm not sure what I could teach her. I was annoyed he sprung this on me last minute. The last thing I wanted was having some girl follow me around for three months.

"What's my exact role in this program?" I asked my father, hoping he sensed my lack of interest.

"You know, teach the intern our procedures, how we deal with clients, project management and so on. It'll be good for you. At the end of this program, we will choose three to hire. So you could be mentoring a future colleague."

"Great," I said sarcastically.

"Trust me, in a few months, you'll be thanking me," he said and left my office. This was not how I saw my New Year starting. Now I was stuck with some young, overzealous, know-it-all.

***

The weekend passed and it was Monday again. I remembered the intern would be starting today and my mood immediately turned sour. I decided to skip the introduction meeting claiming I had some overseas calls that I couldn't miss. I sat at my desk and my cell phone rang. I quickly reached for it hoping it was Ava calling but saw it was my friend Kade. I've known Kade since I was thirteen. We both attended the same grade school and he moved out here to San Francisco three years ago. He was more of a bachelor than I was. He once dated three women in one day, and they knew about one another and still wanted to date him.

"What do you want?" I answered laughing into the phone.

"Oh, fuck off," he laughed, "I heard you were in Paris for Christmas."

"Yep had some business to get done. How about you, were you in Chicago for Christmas?"

"Actually, the family and I went to Colorado for Christmas this year. Are you back from Paris, did you get laid?" he joked.

"It was a business trip, no time for that. It was a quick trip."

"Bullshit, you always find time," he said calling me out, knowing my reputation. Kade knew I always looked for a quick fuck, not wanting to get attached.

"I might have met someone."

"Seriously? Like a vacation hook up or more?"

"More, but it's fucked up right now. I fucked up," I said resting my head in my hand, thinking of Ava and everything that happened.

"Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. Listen, I want to know about this mystery girl who's turned you soft, but I have a meeting in ten. Lunch tomorrow?"

"Sure, Charlie's at one?"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow," he said before hanging up. I knew Kade was going to give me shit tomorrow for falling for a girl. He always said we would be bachelors until we were old and grey.

I needed to get out of my current mood and decided to take a walk to the kitchen to grab some coffee. As I made my way down the hall the smell of orange and vanilla filled the air. I couldn't help but think of Ava, her laugh, her smile, her kiss. Even at work, I was reminded of her. I couldn't escape her, but did I want to? I missed her terribly and every time my phone rang I hoped it was her. I thought about what she was doing in Boston, probably sitting in class and hanging out with her friends. As I walked back to my office the smell of Ava continued to follow me. I quickly slammed my door shut, not wanting it to invade my space. My fighting for her was limited to calling her and leaving messages. If I knew where she lived I would bang on her door and demand her to hear me out. If she didn't call me back by now, I don't think she ever would. Trying to forget her was going to be the hardest thing I ever did.