Chapter 1

Ava

I had Christmas morning all planned out. I would drive into the city, surprise my boyfriend, and cook him his favorite breakfast while we exchanged presents. What I wasn't expecting this morning was walking in and seeing, John, my boyfriend of two years, having his dick sucked by his skinny, blonde next door neighbor. Merry fucking Christmas! All I could see was John's ass gripped in the home-wrecker's manicured hands as she bobbed her head back and forth. John had no idea I was standing behind him watching this gut-wrenching act until I yelled "son of a bitch" at the top of my lungs. Fueled with anger, I grabbed my bags and bolted out the front door. John followed, stumbling out the door and down the stairs while trying to tuck himself back in. Unlucky for me, I was waiting on the curb trying to hail a cab when he caught up to me.

"Ava, I am so sorry, it...it was an accident," he spoke out of breath.

"An accident, John, really? So what, your cock 'accidentally' fell into her mouth?" I spoke with rage.

"No, that's not what I meant, I-"

"I don't care what you meant, you are a fucking bastard, just leave me alone," I interrupted dripping with anger. The nerve of this asshole to say what he did was an accident, seriously did men like him really think that was an actual excuse? I didn't know this person standing in front of me, he isn't the guy I fell in love with.

"It's just you said you were going out of town this Christmas, and I got upset because you never seem to have time for us anymore. You're always studying."

"Oh, so it's my fault? You are unbelievable. I said I was away this Christmas because I wanted to surprise you, but you are the one who surprised me." Just then a cab pulled up to the curb. As I climbed in John grabbed my hand.

"Please don't leave, I love you. If you leave, we can't fix this," he pleaded holding my hand tight.

"There's nothing to fix, John, goodbye," I said with distaste as I yanked my hand from his. It wasn't until the cab pulled away did I cry. The cab driver sensing my mood waited to ask where I wanted to go until my sobbing was under control.

"Where to, Miss?"

"Oh...um, the airport please," I said through tears. The only place I could think of being right now was with Olivia. She was studying abroad in Paris, over 5,000 miles away, but times like this called for best friends and booze, no matter the distance.

So, now I am sitting on a plane sandwiched between one man who smells like sauerkraut, and a woman typing loud on her laptop. Olivia had no idea I was about to show up at her front door, but I'm hoping for a distraction during this holiday break.

The flight was miserable, and I could not get any sleep. On top of feeling exhausted and the crying, I could only imagine what a hot mess I was. It was a little after six in the morning when I arrived at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. As I exited the plane my phone rang. The caller ID told me it was my younger sister, Becca, calling. I hesitated to answer knowing I would need to explain why I was suddenly in Paris, but it would be worse for me if I didn't answer.

"Hey," I answered.

"Merry Christmas, I hope I'm not interrupting anything," She laughed. Last thing she knew, I was surprising John for Christmas.

"Merry Christmas, are you at dad's yet?" I asked trying to steer the conversation.

"Yeah, just got here." I heard my dad holler Merry Christmas in the background.

"Tell dad Merry Christmas and that I love him."

"I will, he's trying to light that damn BBQ. So, tell me, how was surprising John? I bet he was so excited," she said and my eyes began to water picturing what happened so many hours ago.