Chapter 3

Ava

It was a little before eight in the morning when my cab arrived outside Olivia's apartment along the Seine River, not far from popular attractions. With her family connections, she was fortunate to study art abroad, and live within walking distance to the all the museums and galleries. I hoped she was home and I wasn't interrupting anything or anyone. Olivia loved being single, and with that came random hook ups. I rang her buzzer and my palms began to sweat. There was no response after the first buzz, so I tried again. Not a minute after the second buzzer did I hear a crackling noise before her voice echoed through the intercom.

"Hello, can I help you?" she asked puzzled as to why someone was buzzing her door so early in the morning.

"Olivia, it's Ava."

"Ava Wilde, what are you doing here?" she spoke with excitement.

"Long story, can I come up," I asked hoping to explain my reason for interrupting her holidays in person, and not through the intercom where anyone passing could hear me.

"Yes of course, sorry," she laughed.

I heard the door click unlocked. I walked in and took the elevator to the 4th floor. Before I could even knock, her front door flew open, and Olivia reached out and pulled me in for a hug. I thought I could hold it together, but I immediately started to break down, tears pouring down my face onto her burgundy cardigan. I've known Olivia since our freshman year of college when we met in an art history class, and have been best friends ever since. Still crying, Olivia led me over to her couch and sat me down. She quickly left the room to grab a box of tissues from her bathroom, and set it on the coffee table. I took at least five or six tissues from the box and wiped my face as best I could. She sat beside me, and asked me the one question I know she has been dying to ask the minute I walked in.

"What's wrong?" she asked gripping my hands, squeezing them tight.

"I caught John cheating when I surprised him for Christmas. "I hiccuped, trying to slow my breathing.

"Are you fucking serious?" she screamed. I'm pretty sure her neighbors heard her.

"Yeah, his neighbor, you know the blonde I hate, well, she was blowing him when I walked in."

"What a motherfucking prick. I'm so sorry, Ava. I can't imagine what you're going through, but... I'm glad you finally came to Paris, I just wish it was on happier terms." Olivia reached out embracing me in a hug.

"Yeah, well I ended things right then and there. I already had my bags packed since I planned on staying with him, so coming straight here was an easy decision. I just needed to get away." I gave a small smile thinking how uncharacteristic of me it was to be this spontaneous.

"Excellent choice! Fuck John and his whore. We are going to drink, dance, and eat junk food. Maybe even find you a good fuck while you're in town," she laughed knowing I wasn't one to randomly hook up with men. Olivia was the opposite of me. She could steal a glance from every man in the room. She was strong, confident, outspoken and gorgeous. If I did anything outside my comfort zone, it is all due to Olivia's convincing. She made me want to be a little bit naughtier in life.

"I don't know. I just want to site see and relax before school starts."

"You can site see and have a little fun on the side at the same time. You always have your nose in a book, or out sketching in the city. You need to have some fun. Books and school will be waiting for you when you get home."