Chapter 9

Ava

Five minutes before we were at our destination Logan had me close my eyes. As we pulled up, I heard the car drive over gravel and come to complete stop. Logan exited the car, made his way over to my side opening the door allowing me to step out. He grabbed my hands and turned me around. I had no idea what to expect, but based on how excited Logan was, I knew this would be a great surprise.

"You can open your eyes, Ava," he whispered in my ear sending shivers down my spine. I opened my eyes and in front of me was the most beautiful castle I had ever seen.

"Logan, it's gorgeous!" I exclaimed.

"This is the Château Chenonceau, and it was one of the first places I visited when I came to France. I thought you would like to see it since it's your first trip."

"Thank you, this is wonderful," I said turning to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. I kissed him and he kissed me right back, pulling me flushed with his body. He broke our kiss, but before we started walking he kissed the tip of my nose like it's something he's been doing for years. My heart melted every time he did that. I couldn't help but think about leaving in a few days, I knew it was going to be hard to say goodbye.

"There is plenty to do here. We can tour the castle, walk the gardens, and they even have donkeys you can feed," he said as we walked hand in hand towards the main entrance.

"I say, let's do them all." This was the best surprise ever. The outside of the castle was stunning. The design was eye catching and would draw in any passing person. The soft white and blue tiled roof reminded me of a castle fit for a princess. The closer I got the more I recognized it. I had seen this structure in a few of my textbooks. I'm glad I had my phone because I immediately started taking pictures. This visit will forever be ingrained into my memories.

"Before we do everything, what do you say to a little lunch? I made us a reservation," he said wrapping his arms around my waist from behind, kissing my neck. I closed my eyes and savored his touch. I had never felt safe in someone's arms until Logan. Something about his touch made my body completely trust him.

"Yes, please," was all I could say, because my mind was still in shock that I was here at this enchanting castle with a kind and sexy man when two days ago I was crying over what now seems like spilled milk.

***

After lunch, Logan I decided to tour the castle before we made our way out to the gardens. The interior was rich in color with furnishings and decorations that dated back to the 16th century. There was a remarkable collection of art hanging throughout the halls I knew Olivia would enjoy. Logan didn't leave my side for one minute and held my hand as I eagerly pulled him from room to room. Even though Logan had been here before, he acted as if it was his first time.

As we exited the castle and started to enter the gardens my phone rang. Expecting it to be Olivia, I pulled it out of my purse and answered it without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Ava, it's John." I instantly tensed up. What does he want?

"It's not a good time, John," I said looking over at Logan. His face darkened and his mouth pressed into a hard line.

"Okay, I'll make this quick. I have been wanting to call you since you left but wanted to see you in person. I went to your place, but your landlord said you haven't been home since Christmas, and I was worried."

"I didn't go home after I left. So, if all you're calling for is to make sure I'm fine, well now you know, I'm fine," I said with a clipped tone.

"I'm glad, but also was hoping we could meet up for dinner tonight?"