The question was so sudden it drained the warmth from the blanket, and Everleigh straightened. The shift in conversation was not a delicate or smooth one, so her mind raced-her eyes searching the ground. Why did Sarah want to know? Considering their history, it felt like jealousy aimed her way through Sarah's penetrating stare.

"I'm sorry, it's none of my business."

"It's not what you think," Everleigh replied with a sideways glance.

"How so?" Sarah crooked a smile. "I see you looking at each other."

Everleigh shook her head. "It's not like that. We've just met."

"Sometimes that's all it takes." Sarah's eyes shifted to the fire. "Corbin just has that way about him. You can't help but absorb his presence."

"I wouldn't know. I've only known my father, brother, and our neighbors. So, I'm kind of awkward around people."

With her eyes still on the fire, Sarah responded, "You're doing just fine. I think he likes that about you."

Heat bloomed across Everleigh's cheeks, causing her to brush her fingers over her skin. Had Sarah noticed? But when she glanced at the melancholy woman, Sarah continued gazing at the fire. Was she reflecting on a memory of her and Corbin? It was hard to tell if either of them still had feelings for one another, but if Sarah haunting Corbin's dreams were any sign, then the chance was likely. Everleigh wrapped her arms around her torso as an ache grew in her stomach.

"Are you feeling alright?" Sarah pressed the tips of her fingers to Everleigh's knee.

"Yes," she squeaked, her head bolting upright, not realizing how her posture had curled inward as she held her stomach. Never had she felt such an ache. It was like an anchor plummeting towards the ocean floor.

"You sure?"

"It's nothing. Maybe I'm just tired."

"Then you should get lots of sleep." Sarah reached across to tuck some hair behind Everleigh's ear and held her chin. "I can tell traveling has been rough on you. Having to be aware of your surroundings and dangers, but you don't have to anymore. You and your brother are welcome to stay for as long as you need."

"Thank you."

"And tomorrow, I want you to eat a nutritious breakfast. Understood?"

"Ok." Everleigh nodded, and Sarah took Everleigh's forehead in her hands, kissing it.

"Now go on. Get some sleep."

As Everleigh rose from the couch and made her way to the stairs, she noticed the ache in her belly subsided. For a moment, Sarah had shown her a mother's affection, and it filled her with warmth. However, the feeling was short-lived when she reached the bedroom and closed the door behind her. Leaning against it, she blew out a breath.

It was time to meet up with Corbin and Armis, but figuring out how to exit the house unseen, would be tricky with Sarah awake.

∆∆∆

Through the rifle scope lens, Corbin watched a figure moving behind the curtain of Chuck's home. Was the man awake? Unless it wasn't just him living there? It was a possibility that never crossed his mind but now caused sweat to collect at his temples. The night wasn't cold, yet it wasn't warm either. It was this strange in-between Corbin usually wouldn't mind. Nights sleeping in the desert were better when the air felt balanced. However, Armis was right. The night felt off, and his fingertips became slick against the metal of the rifle.

Setting the weapon aside, Corbin climbed down from the tower to check on Armis and found him sitting at the base of the steps-his slumped posture leaning against the railing. He'd proven to be a vigorous man, but Armis was over-exerting himself by not resting enough. After all, he was still recovering from bullet wounds.