Nightmares In A Donut Shop

Start from the beginning

PS, you should consider playing soccer for UFL.

-

Oh hell no, I mutter to myself. No more soccer.

After examining my records, I shove them back into the envelope and head to our room.

River is still frantically getting ready; racing around in one shoe and searching the box for his jacket.

Simultaneously, I start to search for clothes of my own.

As I assemble my outfit I can hear River's footsteps racing across the floor behind me.

"Calm down." I laugh.

"No time." He states.

As he rushes out of the room, I begin to put on a pair of loose black shorts and a white tank top.

It fits weirdly on top but I decide to make it work, slipping on maroon colored socks and black converse to end it.

I look down to examine myself.

It's sort of strange attire, but who do I need to impress?

One of my favorite things about River was that he wasn't one who needed to be impressed. He embraced naturalism.

When I'm done I run my fingers through my hair, being that I have "no time" to brush it, and enter the living room.

River tunes his guitar, strumming it to make sure it sounds right.

"Ready to go?" He asks, looking up at me.

He studies me up and down, making me feel nervous, but doesn't say a thing.

"Yeah." I answer, making sure my records are safely in my pocket.

"Alright, awesome." He says, slinging his guitar around his shoulder and stopping to kiss my forehead.

I inspect him as he leads the way out of the apartment; a brown suit jacket with a flannel under it, old jeans, and one shoe.

I laugh.

"I think you're forgetting something." I tell him, pointing at his foot as he turns towards me.

He rolls his eyes.

"Ah, fuck." He says, handing me his guitar. "Wait here."

"I think I'm going to drop off my records real quick, is that okay?" I yell as he rushes down the hall.

He doesn't look back; just raises up a hand and points in the air.

"I'm coming with you!" He replies.

-

For a solid minute, I lean against the wall in the hallway.

Then River rushes down the hall, wearing his other shoe and holding a shirt.

It's a red and cream striped button up that he wore in My Own Private Idaho; I'd recognize it from anywhere.

He grabs his guitar out of my hand and gives me the shirt instead.