What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger: Chapter 3

"Alice! Thalk to me whats going on?!" I said. It took her a moment to answer back. "I..I got in a car accident on the way to your house." She said. It sounded like she was really straining herself trying to say even those few words.

"How bad are you hurt?"

"I can't feel my leg's and I am having a really hard time breathing."

Paralized? I am not going to tell her thats a possibility, it'll only freak her out.

"Where are you?"

"I am about seven miles from your house, right next to the gas station."

"Ok, I am coming, but did you call 911?"

"Yeah. There are not here yet."

"Ok! Hold on a little bit longer, I am coming!"

As I walked out the door, left a note to mom about what wwas going on, and got into my car, I called Alice's mom.

"Mrs. Ruce! Alice has been in a bad car accident! She is by the gas station. I am heading there now.

"Oh no! I am coming too! Is she ok?!"

"I don't know yet."

"Ok. I will see you there!"

As I drove, all the thoughts from Jake came rushing back. Jake and now Alice. "I really hope they are both ok." I said to myself. I could so much bad happen in one day. I wonder how Jake is doing right now.

As I turned around a corrner, I saw flashing lites, must be the ambulance and police. I parked my car on the side of the road and rushed out. The whole area was taped off. I looked around. I saw Alice's car. Totalled. I saw the car she colide with. Also totalled. Just then, I noticed an ambulance driving away, with Mrs. Ruce's car following close behind. I jumped in my car and headed to the hospital.-

Once I got to to hospital, I walked up to the front desk. "Exuse me. My name is Layla, and my best friend, Alice Ruse, just got here. Could you possible tell me what room she is in?" The secretary looked up. "Your friend is getting some test done right now, but here room is 107." I thanked her and headed to Alice's room.

As I walked in, I saw Alice's mom and dad sitting on a couch, heads down. "Any news?" Just then, two nurses wheeled Alice in a bed. We all headed over to her side. "Thanks for called me, Alice. I am glad that I can be here for you." I said to her. She noded and looked at her parents. I left the room so they could be alone for a while.

As I sat in the waiting room, I thought about Jake. Moving? Could he really be moving? Could he really have cancer? Could this all just be one big dream? It felt like it was. Right now it feels like my life is going in slow motion. I really don't what to do.

A few minutes later Alice's mom came out and motioned that I could come in now. I walked in the room and went next to Alice.

"How ya doin?"

"Ok. I am pretty sore, and I still can't feel my legs. It's still kinda hard to breath, but a little better."

I sat down in a seat right next to Alice's bed. "Hey mom, dad, could we have a moment alone?" Alice said. "Sure sweety, we were just about to go down to the cafeteria anyways." Her mom said as they both left to room.

Alice looked at me. "Spill it! What happend at Jakes house?" She said in an eager voice. I told her everything, every detail, every word. "Wow." She said. "You must be filled with so much sadness, but you also must be pretty happy also, I know you have liked him all your life." I sat there trying to hold back the tears, not knowing if they would be tears of joy or sorrow if I let them out. "Yeah, he said I am going to come to his house after school everyday till he leaves. And we said we would call and say goodnight to eaxhother every night, and skype on weekends." I told her. "Thats good!"

We sat there for a while. I glanced over at Alice, she was sleeping. I took out a book and began to read. I barely read to words before I was interrupted by Mrs. Ruse, "You might want to go get something to eat now, the cafeteria closes in thirty minuets." She said as he and her husband sat on the couch across from me. "Yeah, I guess I will go. I am getting kinda hungry."

_______

As I entered the cafeteria, I decided what to order. I ended up just ordering some pizza, fries, and a soda. I found a table and sat down and began to eat. "For hospital food, this is pretty good." I said to myself.

After I was done eating, I through my garbage away and headed back to Alice's room. I entered the room and saw Alice was awake and eating. I sat down. "You can go home if ya want, Layla." Alice said. "You really don't have to stay here." "Oh no. Thats ok."

Just then a doctor came in. "How are you feeling, Alice? On a scale of 1-10, how bad is the pain?" He said to her. "About a eight." she told him. "So do you know any results yet, doctor?" "Yes I do Alice." He said with a sigh. This can't be good. There was a shot moment of silence, which was broken my the doctor, "Alice, you are vever going to able to use your legs again."

The room fell silent. "I understand." Alice said. The doctor left the room. We all sat there for a while in silence, stunned by the news. I wanted run up to her and give her a hug, but I knew this wasn't the right time to do that. She probably would want comfort from her parents rather than me. Right then both of her parents went up and hugged her. I left the room so they could be alone again. All I could do right now was be strong for Alice.