Chapter Twenty-Four

Gerard and Frank were sitting on the couch, Frank partially in Gerard's lap and partially not. Every so often, Frank would break down into tears, causing his story to get cut off.

"...and she's k-kicking me out, I'm g-gone tomorrow. Oh, Gerard..." Frank threw himself into his boyfriend's arms as another wave of hysterics crashed over him.

"It's gonna be okay," Gerard muttered comfortingly, ignoring the way his jeans tightened as Frank's body inched closer. Fucking hormones. Why did he have to be horny today of all days?

"Frank?" He whispered softly. "Do you... do you love your mom?"

Frank pulled away from him. "Um..." he thought for a bit, wiping his eyes. "I know I'm supposed to, but I'm not sure if I– if I do." He paused. "Do you love your dad? Even after what he did?"

Gerard's stomach did a triple flip at the mention of his father. "Well... no," he confessed. "I don't love him."

Frank nodded. "So it's okay if I don't love her? Even though she's my mom?"

"Blood relation doesn't mean you have to love them," he explained. "I think it's perfectly fine if you don't." He bit his lip. "Did your mom really kick you out?"

"No, Gerard, she's totally fine with learning that her only child is transgender," Frank snorted. "Of course she did."

Gerard rubbed his thumb up and down Frank's knuckles. "Last night you said you weren't going to say anything because you didn't have a place to stay. Did something change?"

"I– I don't know. I was just sick of hiding myself."

"But where are you going to stay?"

Frank ignored his question and focused on Gerard's finger tracing the back of his hand. He liked physical contact, Frank realized. Whether it was holding hands or touching ankles under the dinner table or shoulders brushing when they walked, there was always some physical connection. Not that Frank minded. He personally enjoyed the small touches.

"I'll worry about that later," he finally said. "Let's– lets just–"

"Can I kiss you?" Gerard asked suddenly.

"Oh, um–" Frank was surprised. "Sure, y-you don't need to ask for permission."

"Okay." Gerard scooted closer to the boy. He cupped his face with one hand and kissed his lips slowly, gently.

Frank closed his eyes as he kissed back. Kissing Gerard was nice. His lips were soft and warm and every time they were touched to his, it only made him fall harder in love.

His breath hitched as Gerard's free have started to creep up his thigh and to the bottom of his shirt. No matter how comfortable he was with him, Frank didn't want what he thought was going to happen to actually happen. He put his hand on top of Gerard's, drawing it away from his hip.

Gerard didn't try to repeat his actions. He moved his hands to Frank's shoulders instead, biting gently on his bottom lip.

Frank kissed him again, shaking hands curling into Gerard's dark hair as he tried to ignore the way Gerard's fingers were playing with the hem of his shirt. This was going to far. He placed his hands on his boyfriend's chest and pushed him back, breaking the kiss in the process.

Gerard's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Is something wrong?"

"N-no," Frank lied. He cleared his throat. "I was wondering... do you mind staying the night? I'm not ready to face my mom alone tomorrow."

"Oh... yeah," Gerard said with a grin. "Of course I'll stay with you."

Frank smiled back and gave his knee a squeeze. "Thank you."