Chapter Seven

Frankie woke up Saturday morning in a decent mood.

For about thirty seconds.

Then everything came crashing down on her. This happened almost every morning– she would wake up and realize that it wasn't safe to come out to anyone, realize that she wouldn't be transitioning anytime soon, and realize that she would spend the day surrounded by homophobic and transphobic people.

Today was even worse. Today was her mother's banquet.

She rolled out of bed with a groan. The lavender dress was lying in a heap on the floor. She gave it a kick before pulling on a black Misfits shirt. She wasn't going to put that dress on until the last possible second.

Frankie headed to the kitchen where her mother was. She was already dressed up, her hair twisted up into a bun and her makeup perfectly done.

"Where on earth did you get that shirt?" Her mother said in disgust.

Frankie looked down and realized that she was wearing one of the shirts she only wore while dressing in public. "It's Brendon's," she lied. "I borrowed it and forgot to give it back."

"So it's a boy's shirt? Honey, you've got to give that back, you're a girl." She pushed a cup of coffee to her daughter.

Frankie tried not to scream. "I will."

"You should get ready soon. I want to take you to a stylist to get your hair done," her mother said.

Frankie nearly spat out her coffee. She reached up to touch her hair. "It looks fine. I don't need a stylist."

Her mom opened her mouth, but was interrupted by the doorbell. Frankie stood up. "I'll get it." Whenever her mom started shooting what she called "dagger-eyes," she knew it was time to get out.

"Gerard?" Frankie asked in surprise when she opened the door. "How the hell did you get here?"

"Ryan gave me the address," the boy explained. "And I was wondering..." he smiled shyly. "Do you wanna go out for breakfast?"

"Yes." Frankie said confidently. She grabbed his arm, pulling him inside. "Yes, save me."

Gerard stumbled into the house. "What?" He giggled.

Frankie sighed. "I'll tell you later. Do you want any coffee? I need to get ready."

Gerard nodded, and Frankie led him into the kitchen. Her mother looked up. "Who's this?"

"I'm Gerard, ma'am. I'm one of Frankie's friends from school," Gerard said as Frankie poured him a cup of coffee.

The woman raised her eyebrows. "And why is he here?" She hissed at Frankie.

"I wanted to take her out for breakfast," Gerard piped in. "But we can postpone it if you have something else planned..."

Mrs. Iero perked up. "Like a date?"

Gerard shifted uncomfortably. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Oh! Well then, Frankie and I aren't doing anything today. Go and take her for as long as you want!" She exclaimed, waving a hand impatiently.

"Cool. I'm gonna put on some jeans and then we'll go," Frankie told Gerard, glancing down to her pajama pants.

"Wear the new skirt I picked out for you," her mother said with a stern look. "And put on a different top; that shirt is horrid."

Frankie blushed. "Fine."

Once in her room, she pulled on a pair of leggings to go under her skirt and a jacket to hide the Misfits shirt. She headed back downstairs, ignoring her mother's scolds for wearing leggings.