Chapter Eight

The weeks leading up to Christmas came and went. All too soon, the holiday was finally here. New Jersey had gotten about a foot of fresh snow the night before to top off the winter season, which made it extremely difficult to travel. But, as it was Christmas, it didn't bother anybody.

"Oh, hi Frank," Brendon greeted in surprise after opening the door. "I didn't expect to see you."

"Yeah, my mom left early, so I took the opportunity," Frank explained, crossing into the house.

Brendon followed him inside. "Are you doing anything with her?"

Frank laughed. "Funny joke. We hate each other."

Brendon opened his mouth, but Ryan got to him before he could say anything. He tackled his boyfriend onto the couch, a small smile on his lips. He dangled a mistletoe over Brendon's head, giggling as he did so.

"You just can't help yourself, can you?" Brendon giggled back before pressing his lips to Ryan's.

Ryan pulled away soon after. "Is Frank's gift still here?" He whispered so the boy wouldn't hear.

Brendon nodded. "It's up in my room," he whispered back.

"Hey!" Frank suddenly yelled. "Get your lazy asses of couch and help me decorate the tree!"

Ryan pushed himself off of Brendon and rolled off the couch. Frank tossed him a Santa hat, matching the one on his head. "Get in the Christmas spirit," he joked, brushing the black bangs of the wig out of his eyes.

All three of them hung up the tacky ornaments on the tree. Christmas music was blaring through the speakers. Brendon even got his guitar from his room and started playing along to the songs.

"You know what we should do?" Ryan asked when they were done. "We should make cookies."

Frank and Brendon exchanged a look, then burst into laughter. Even Ryan couldn't suppress a grin.

"Oh, come on," he scoffed. "The fire department won't have to come this time."

"Okay, okay," Frank agreed somewhat reluctantly, even though he was still smiling. "As long as you don't go near the oven."

"Fair enough."

"So..." Brendon drawled as he they walked over to the kitchen. "Tell us about your date."

"It wasn't a date," Frank said quickly. "I mean–" he pursed his lips together. "It was fine."

"Fine?" Ryan repeated. "This is Gerard we're talking about, you know."

"I know," Frank sighed. "The... date itself was nice. We talked a lot. I just... I don't know. I think he's attracted to her."

Brendon cracked an egg as Frank kept talking. "But I'm attracted to him. Not as her." The way Frank talked about herself made it seem like she was some demented creature. "Which is why it's not going to work out. Does that make any sense?"

"Wait, why? Don't you want it to work out?" Ryan asked as he poured in the milk.

"I do. I really do. I just want to be myself around him. But I'm not sure in I'm ready yet," Frank explained. He started to mix the batter. "I don't want him to leave me."

He felt a hand touch his shoulder and looked up. Brendon was staring at him with a serious expression.

"Gerard is not going to leave you," he said confidently. "He's too good of a person. And if he does, well..." his face split into a grin. "I'll kick his ass."

Frank gave him a small smile at his words. "Thanks, Bren." He stuck the cookies in the oven.

"Let's do gifts now," Ryan piped up.