Page 5

I have gone mad; he thought as he parked his bicycle under the tree. Scared of a nightmare? But he had to be sure he cannot take any risks, not now.

Hence, not wasting any time, he unlocked the shack and picked up his kerosene lamp. But what if the labour had found it? He lit the lamp. What if it got trampled under their feet? No, he has to remain positive.

Birju kaka would not have dropped it until after he had seen the body, he thought. And hence, hoping for the best, he went towards the eastern boundary of his farm, where it met the boundary of the pond.

Ankle-deep mud and water were already getting into his shoes. Hence, he removed them and put them on a drier piece of land. He will get them later, then, holding out his lamp over the water, he started looking for a glint of gold.

It was difficult, he knew, but what other choice did he have? So far, he had found nothing other than the reflection of his own lamp. Sticks came floating his way. He feared if he a snake wouldn't come looking like one. But so far, he was lucky. Still he tried not to slip and hence kept himself over the roots of the trees, as he ploughed forward. Until at last, something glinted in the dark. He plunged his hand into it and took out small roots, stones, and something made of gold from its depths.

'A horse,' he whispered as mud fell from its glinting surface. Revealing little eyes, hair and other such minute details.

It was real; it was all real. He had actually eaten and talked with Birju kaka. Chills ran through his body. What should he do now? He thought as he clutched on to the toy, afraid of dropping and losing it again. Should he tell it to the others? He was the only one who had actually found it. They might even believe him.

Yeah, he should do that; he decided as he tried pulling his feet out.

'You've found it,' came someone's voice.

Slowly, Raman looked up, and still not believing what he was seeing, said. 'I–I did, Here.' he held it in his hand as he offered it to kaka. He was smiling at him as he stood among the darkened trees. His eyes shining in the low lamplight.

'I fulfilled my promise. You won't hurt my wife or child now, would you?' but kaka didn't reply in yes or no, instead he just lifted his hand, wanting the toy. Raman didn't move; was it a trick? Why can't he just come over and get it? What more does he want?

'Kaka,' Raman asked as the apparition seems to move further back towards the pond. 'Please.'

'We are almost there,' kaka said, now going towards the centre of the pond. Raman's throat had gone dry.

Still, he stepped into the knee-deep water, where he could no longer find any roots to support him. Making it more difficult to move in the right direction. By the time he managed to swim to the place, the water had come near his chest. It was deep enough for an eleven-year-old kid to drown in.

'Here,' he said as he offered the gift again. The rain had stopped now. His kerosene lamp was emersed in water. It was almost all dark.

'Should I-should I drop it in your hand?' he asked, just to be sure.

Kaka nodded. 'He is here now,' he said.

Raman followed his gaze and saw Sukku's pale dead face floating not more than an inch away in the water. With a cry, he slipped on the stones and went deep into the water. It seemed as though time had slowed down, for he saw the toy drop right through kaka's hand and into Sukku's pale palm. Water smothered his mouth as he flailed his arms. He tried keeping his head above the water. Finally, he grabbed hold of the roots and stump of a nearby tree. He spluttered and coughed before running as fast as he could. Never knowing when he had reached his place and had finally gone unconscious.

*

For days Raman kept quiet about it, knowing no one was going to believe him. Even with the toy, he could not have proven much. What is done is done. Hari or Birju kaka had fulfilled their promise. For his harvest was done, and his wife had come back home.

'Doctor Sahib said it was all because of this tension we were going through.' She told him once they were alone.

'You knew about the crops?' he finally asked.

'I knew you were not sleeping. So I guessed that was the case. And I didn't want to worry you anymore so I didn't tell you about the pain. Forgive me, will you?'

Raman looked up and saw her looking miserable again, tears welling up in her eyes. 'we both made mistakes. If we hadn't kept things to ourselves, none of this would've happened. But I guess you had your reasons like I had mine.' Images of Birju kaka and Sukku's pale were flashing in his mind as he said that. 'But if it is anything to do with the child again, you will tell me, right?' His wife nodded, cleaning tears from her face.

Two days later, his parents had come back. They were exhausted from their travels and were happy when they heard about their harvest. (Raman had decided not to tell them everything else yet).

'I knew it,' his father had said. 'I knew God will help us. Your mother said we had done something wrong going away like this. When we should've helped here. She was not wrong, of course, but what good would it be returning midway? But see, all is well now, isn't it?'

Raman was still thinking of what had happened on his farm. Images of Sukku and Birju kaka kept haunting his dreams, or whenever he went near his farm. He knew they won't trouble him anymore; he had fulfilled his promise. And yet he knew he had to do something about it. And so, he waited until the next opportunity, which didn't come until their next monthly visit to the hospital.