Chapter 7: Glistening Glamour

"Are you all set?" Mason asks.
We're standing on the beach, overlooking the water.
"Yeah, I think so. I've got my waterproof phone!"
"Don't bother. Zoey says. The only communication devices that work underwater are shell phones.
"Ha ha ha. Puns. Can we just go before I change my mind?"
"Steady now, girl. It isn't that easy. Transforming requires concentration and focus."
"Wait. You mean that...that...we're...
I'm...going to..."
I can't think straight. Why hadn't I thought about this before? I'm so absent minded! Of course I was going to need to "transform" why didn't I realize it? What was I going to do, hold my breath for 15 seconds? Stupid!

"Hello, earth to Kelly?" Mason says, waving his hand in my face and waking me from my zone.
"Sorry." I say. "So, how do I do this?..."
"Okay," says Zoey, "Breathe in and out, with your eyes closed. Meditate and calm yourself with your back towards the waves. Visualize scales sprouting from your waist down. See your legs connecting and becoming a tail. Feel the power flowing through your veins. The power is coming from your Sthenos."
I try to do as Zoey says, and fail. Numerous times.
On my seventh try my face is red. I squeeze my eyes shut and focus as hard as I can. I can FEEL the veins popping out of my forehead.
"Calm yourself!" Zoey warns, and I finally breathe.
The smell of sea salt overwhelms my nostrils. The strong tide pulls in and releases, sending water spraying into the cool air and shell pieces. The moonlight hits the water perfectly. I look to the horizon. There is no mistaking it. The sea is calling to me.
I spread my arms, reaching to the farthest ends of my imagination. I picture scales forming from my waist down. I see my legs joining to become a tail. I take another deep breath. Then I let go. I let myself fall backwards into the cool saltwater.
Then it happens. I can't describe it perfectly. It's like a tiny tickling sensation spreading warmth through my body, starting from my toes to my head. I feel hundreds of emotions at once. Sadness, laughter, pain, regret, rage, and ones I don't even understand.
My feet feel bound together, and I start to sprout...purple scales. (With a touch of turquoise! Yay!)
I scream, because my brain feels like its ripping apart.
My shorts disappear, but my shirt stays on.

I have fully transformed.