Chapter 6: Fancy Footwork

I lay sprawled across my bed, looking at my ceiling. My plain, white ceiling. How lucky it is, I think, to be just one thing. So absolute, no mixed emotions, no doubts. It is what it is. A single color, on its own, it needs no one.
The exact opposite of me.
Don't get the wrong idea, I am independent, it's just that I'm torn right now. Stay here with my parents and live with the knowledge that I may have missed out on my "destiny", or lie to them, tell them I'm going to Dana's house and leave them for who knows how long, and let them worry about me and send search parties after me. My head spins. I've never really had to make a decision as hard as this.
I'm really scared and anxious. What am I supposed to do?

After more careful consideration and a particularly long list of pros and cons, I decide to go with the pe- erm, merfolk- that threatened me. I had packed a backpack full of necessities for survival. Extra clothes, a toothbrush, lip gloss -_-, my phone,(do they have service underwater?) a brush etc., and a stake knife. You never know, those chumps could be kidnappers.
"Kelly, where are you going?"
Dad asks, with a mouth full of blueberry muffin.
"Dana's house." I reply.
Suddenly Dad spins around, a mixture of suspicion and confusion in his eyes. "Dana's away on vacation with her relatives in Georgia. Didn't I show you the postcard?"
Busted.
"Oh, um...I knew that. I meant Christina called and asked if I could come over. I'm just so used to saying Dana's name when going to someone's house." I smile convincingly.
"Okay, then. Be back by tomorrow afternoon."
"Sure thing, Mr.Ronald, sir." I say, bowing and and sweating.

I close the door behind me and go in the direction of Christina's house. When my house is out of sight, I make a left instead of a right, and head towards the beach.
The whole time I'm thinking in my head: wow, that was some fancy footwork.