Ch. 11 - Dances With Bats

Start from the beginning

"You will not give it?" He spins me around.

I narrow my eyes. "Not till I see fit." Yes, I can see right through you, bloodsucker. His tone bleeds with power and greed, a trait that all vampires seem to posses.

"Then I will see to it that I do," he vows. I roll my eyes, his words are as empty as his heart.

The song concludes and a light applaud erupts around us. I give the duke a miniscule curtsy with no intention of releasing my name. "So, did I accomplish my feat?" Philip steps to me.

I smirk. "Not quite," I reply and turn around only to fall into a pair of firm arms. Valentine lowers his gaze to me and offers his hand while he looks at Philip. "I see you've met my cousin, Philip."

I give Philip a smile. "I apologize, Valentine, I didn't know she was yours."

Valentine gives a forced smile, "You did, you just ignored it like you did with Countess Lillian and we all know how we'll that went don't we?"

Philip gives him a nasty look. I guess he's what you call a 'fuck-boy.'

"May I have this dance?" Valentine looks directly into my eyes.

The music finds its ways to my ears and I give him a sly smile, "but of course." I take his hand and we make our way to the edge of the dance floor away from a frustrated duke. The seductive song tugs on the hairs of my neck. I am grateful Valentine chose a dress I can move around in. The singer has a smooth voice, piercing through my heart with his words. He twirls me freely and we are met with the wall. I give him a confused glance and he leans forward. "I just want to try something."

His grips tightens around my waist and he lifts me above his head and before I knew it we are gliding across the wall. We defy gravity and a swelling feeling rises to my heart. My feet move themselves because I am not capable of grasping it with my mind. We walk over to the dance floor and I can't help but smile freely at this strange magic. My heart hums a quick beat due to what we have both discovered.

"My theories were correct, you are more vampire than I thought you were."

I stare at him after his remark, opening my mouth to give a reply but quickly change courses. "What was it like living in a castle?" A change of topic. I was getting tired of his redundance. Yes, I'm a vampire.

He squeezes my hand in a tight grip. "It was different. Of course, the royal duties were aggravating, but my siblings and I always made it worthwhile."

"Have you always disagreed with your brother?"

"No." He pauses. "We were the best of friends. However, women were always the root of every cause."

We move around the floor letting the music carry us. I can feel eyes on us as we dominate the song. My mind stays on his response, wanting to know more.

"I'm curious," I say quietly. "Augustine has powers of persuasion. What can you do?"

His jaw clenches under his mask at the mention of his brothers name. "I don't have one," he pauses. "I have several."

I scoffed at his pride which will shatter under my grasp very soon. Several? "Okay, tell me the one you like best."

"It's not something I merely declare to anyone, especially a hybrid."

He twirls me around and aggressively pulls me back into his firm arms. "Why, are you afraid I'll use it against you?"

"Possibly."

I smile inwardly. He is vulnerable. Our bodies are pressed against each other and I can feel his breath on my neck. "This isn't exactly being subtle," I whisper in his ear, referring to the circle they seem to have formed around us. Some look at me in confusion.