Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Fine, fine," Frankie grinned. "I'll tell you how it goes."

"You better."

Frankie sat back down on her bed, too jittery to fall back asleep. She had so many questions for Ray. How much would transitioning cost overall? Did she need to take a different form of testosterone? When should she need to get top surgery?

Top surgery. That reminded her.

Frankie walked over to her bathroom and stood in front of the mirror, having not checked if the hormones were doing their job for a while.

She stared at her reflection, hands reaching up to prod her cheekbones. She could see a wisp of a shadow across her upper lip. Facial hair. Barely any, but still.

Frankie showered and put on clean clothes before heading down for breakfast. She picked up an apple, then put it down. She was too nervous to eat.

She heard the bathroom door lock shut and the running of water. Her mom was in the shower. Now was her chance.

Frankie ruffled through her mother's nightstand, searching for the book. She didn't have much time, her mom bathed fairly quick.

"Here we go." Frankie opened up to a random page and started punching in the number. There was barely a single ring before it was answered.

"Yes?" A man said in a rough voice.

Frankie cleared her throat. "Hello, sir," she started. "I was wondering if you were free tonight and if you'd be willing to go out with a woman?"

"Depends on the woman."

Frankie held back a laugh. Talking about her mom's good qualities; this was going to be hard. "Well, she's a beautiful girl. Likes to go out a lot, has a strong opinion..."

"Yeah, I'll do it," the man said. "What time should I pick her up?"

"Five would work," Frankie responded. "And, if it's not too much, would you mind calling her and asking properly? It's sort of a surprise."

"Yeah, no problem," the man said. "Man asks the woman, that's how it works, doesn't it?"

"Yeah," Frankie muttered. "Right."

She gave the man the house address and phone number, hanging up just as her mom walked back in. She froze.

The woman narrowed her eyes. "What are you doing in here?"

"Oh, um, just looking at..." Frankie scanned the room. "This brand of, er, makeup." She hastily snatched up a bottle of perfume that was sitting on the nightstand.

"Do you like it? You can use some if you want," her mother offered.

"Oh, uh, that's okay. I don't need it." No way was she going to put on any form of makeup today.

"At least spray some in your room; it'll smell nice," her mom pressed.

"No, I was actually planning on... on buying some new clothes today," Frankie said. Which was true, she wanted to buy some nicer clothes for her meeting with Ray.

"Oh, go ahead! Here's a fifty, but whatever you want!"

Buy whatever you want. She'll remember that. "Thanks, Mom."

Frankie drove down to her favorite store, partially because of the clothes and partially because of the employees, where she bought a nice black-and-white checkered polo shirt and a pair of black jeans. What's more, she found a new binder and a light brown wig that fit her perfectly.

As Frankie stared at her reflection, a big smile spread across her face. She brought her hands up to her face, blinking the tears away.

She looked like a boy.