In grade four, I am glad for my friendships with Audra and Melody, even if Audra is bossy, because the twins are in a different class again. I still walk to and from school with at least one of them most days, but sometimes I am alone, and it's okay. Ian and Chris join the soccer league and the girls at school all swoon when the boys all play on the school yard during lunch, or at least most of the boys. As much as they are just playing for fun, I can see the boys showing off, looking to see who's watching them. The whole prospect is pretty frightening.

Some days, Max sits with me, because he has asthma, and also agrees that everyone is being pretty silly. "Look at them, acting like that. I mean Freddie isn't even watching where he's running."

Max is right, Freddie's jogging up the field, watching Audra, except she's looking at Chris.

"Go Ian," she yells from the sidelines, and I laugh. Except Audra's cheering makes Freddie really angry.

Kyle takes the ball up the field and is getting ready to shoot on one of the sixth grade boys, who's playing goalie, but Ian takes the ball away passing it to Chris. Audra cheers again, and I can see Freddie storming towards Chris, a ball of fury.

I see something bad even before it happens. I have to get to the field...I get on my feet and start to run towards the game, pushing my way between the players. Freddie collides hard with Chris, hitting him from behind to knock him off the ball. It's a dirty play, and Chris goes flying, landing awkwardly. There's a loud snap and a scream of pain, and I am by his side in an instant. He's laying on his stomach, arms out to the side, one at a totally unnatural angle.

"Don't move, Chris. It's okay." I focus on his face, because I know something is broken and I know it's bad.

"Gracie, I really hurt." Chris tells me, his face deathly pale. Ian runs up and kneels beside me.

"Just stay still, Chris," Ian is terrified, but keeps his voice level. "Someone get a teacher," he calls to the kids milling around us.

"Oh, Ian, are you okay?" Audra bends down, then sees Chris' arm. "Oh my god, Ian, is that your bone sticking out?"

Chris starts panicking and I'm furious. "That's Chris, you idiot, not Ian, and you're not helping." I'm sure Audra won't be my friend anymore, and I really don't care. "Chris, it's okay, just stay still. Help is on the way, okay? Take deep breaths."

"Gracie, I'm going to..." Chris retches and vomits on me a bit, but I don't flinch. I know he's really badly hurt, Audra is right, there's a yellowy-white stick like bone sticking out of his lower left arm poking through his skin. There's blood on the ground that he hasn't noticed yet and I hope he doesn't notice, although maybe if he passes out it would be a good thing. "Gracie, I'm so sorry." And he starts to tremble, shivering violently.

"Ian—your coat—put it on his legs." I direct him while I take off mine and put it over Chris' back to keep him warm. Then I wipe the vomit clear from around his mouth with the sleeve of my sweater. Ian grabs my hand and squeezes tight with worry. "It'll be okay, you'll see." I'm basically trying to calm them both because Ian's not used to seeing Chris hurt—usually it's the other way around.

A teacher finally comes up, cell phone in hand, on with the 911 dispatcher, "I don't know, one of the Reed boys," she's saying, but I can tell she's really nervous, trying to avoid looking at Chris. When she bends down she looks like she might faint, so I take over. I know I have to help and I just want my friend better.

I take the phone from her, "It's Chris Reed, he's nine and will be ten next week. He has a broken arm and is shaking. The bone is sticking out a bit."

"Okay," the dispatcher replies, "Who am I speaking to?"

"I'm Grace Yardley and he's my best friend. We stuck coats over him to keep him warm, but he's really shaking and pale. He threw up once and he looks like he's sweating." I am going through everything I think they might want to know, thank goodness for hospital shows on tv.