Chappie 29

Christian's POV

     Today is October 17, and this is the date I came out of my mother's womb. It's my birthday. For me, this event is not really that special. It's just a reminder that I'm getting old. I don't usually host a party during my birthday. Me and my family just go out to have dinner, and that's just how we celebrate it. This year is no different. Candice and I just planned to invite our parents and have dinner at our house.

     It's almost 5 so, I packed up my things and got ready to go home. I guess the only thing that kinda made me excited for this day is the fact that Candice is there to celebrate it with me. 

~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~

     When I got passed the gates, I realized that our parents aren't here yet. It's quiet...too quiet. I can't even hear the maids' chatters. I usually hear them moving around the house even before I enter. Nonetheless, I continued to walk down the pavement that leads to door of the house. 

     When I opened the door, the first thing that I noticed was darkness. All the lights are out except for one which led to the second thing I noticed -- a huge box with a ribbon on top. The only light that was turned on became a spotlight for that large box. Curiosity got the best of me so, I walked towards the box.

     When I was a foot away from the box, BAM! All the lights were turned on and the party poppers went off. The lid of the giant box was removed by Candice who was all along inside the huge box. 

     There were almost 40 people at that moment, but the only thing I noticed is how perfect Candice looked with the confetti raining down on us as she shouted 'Happy Birthday' along with the crowd.

     A smile that reached my ears came upon my face, when I fully realized that all my closest friends and family are there for the surprise that I bet was Candice's idea. 

     I walk to Candice who was still inside the box. The box was really big...even when she's already standing, it covered half of her body. "I assume this was your idea, Mrs. Knight."

    She smiled big and nodded her head. "You like it?"

     "No. I Love it," with that, I kissed her and she wrapped her arms around my neck. I rested my forehead on hers and said, "I really like my present, Sweetheart."

     She pulled away, but still kept her hand wrapped around my neck. She furrowed her brows and said, "I haven't given you anything yet."

     I smirked and said, "Look at who's inside the box."

    She laughed and lightly slapped my shoulder. "Silly, I'm not your present. I have something else for you."

    I laughed and said, "Okay. Now let's get you out of this box." I lifted her bridal style and carried her out of the box. I set her feet on the floor and was about to kiss her again when I felt a hand pat my back. 

    "Son, we know you love your wife, but please try to acknowledge us a bit here," my dad said and the people laughed. That's when I truly noticed all the people around us.

    I smiled and turned to face the crowd, "Thank you for coming to celebrate my birthday with me. Let's enjoy the night!" With that, the night continued and there were a lot of food and endless chatter filling up the house. This is the only time I truly celebrated my birthday with everyone who is dear to me, and it truly was splendid. 

~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~

     The party's over, and everyone went home. Candice and I aren't sleepy yet so we decided to sit in the garden and just stare at the stars. 

     She was looking at them, but I was looking at her. I was memorizing the outline of her face. I was committing to my memory how peaceful and happy she looked right now. I was doing this because one day I might just not see it first hand...one day, she might just completely disappear from my life. 

      "You know, you're suppose to look at the stars, not at me," she said while still looking at the stars.

     "Sorry. Can't help it...you're too beautiful." She laughed and handed me a white box sealed by a blue ribbon. 

     "Happy birthday, Christian," she said as she looked at me.

     I quickly untied the ribbon and lifted the lid of the box. I smiled when I saw what's inside. "Skittles?"

    "Yeah. I figured that you're rich so you probably have the best cars, clothes, and watches. So instead of buying some expensive stuff, I bought you your favorite candy -- Skittles! Like they say, it's the thought that counts."

     I chuckled and said, "Best present ever." I quickly opened the bag of Skittles and ate some. I offered Candice some, but she declined and said, "That's all yours, birthday boy."

     I smiled and said, "I love you, Candice." She just smiled as we stared at each other. With the moonlight shining down on us, I kissed her. One thought ran through my mind -- best birthday ever!