Chappie 18

Saturday...

Christian's POV

    Today, my and Candice's parents decided to have a family day. So now, our aunts, uncles, and cousins are enjoying themselves in our yard.

    I'm watching Candice play with my 5 year old cousin. Candice was wearing a flannel shirt over a tank top with a beanie on her head while Rosie, my cousin, was wearing something similar to hers. They look cute.

    Candice was chasing Rosie as she ran while laughing. Suddenly, I wondered how Candice will be with our own kids. That thought surprised me because before I met Candice, I was so sure that I'd be living the rest of my life as a bachelor, but now, I'm thinking about having a family with Candice.

    My dad's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Son, why do I always find you staring at Candice?"

    I sighed and said, "Dad, I don't know what to do anymore...I'm starting to imagine myself growing old with Candice and having kids."

    "And that's a problem because..." my dad trailed off while raising his eye brow.

    "She doesn't love me."

    "How do you know that?"

    I shrugged and said, "Because...she may or may not be in love with another man."

    "Did she tell you that?"

    I shook my head, and he said, "Son, never jump into conclusions. Don't put words in her mouth."

    Minutes later, my dad smirked, "You love her, don't you?" I nodded my head, and he said, "Finally! You stopped denying your love for her!" I felt heat rush up to my face as my dad patted my back.   

~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~$~

That night...

    Candice and I are outside, watching the stars. Everyone's gone now so, it's quiet. "There's this girl...I'm in love with her," I said out of the blue.

    A look of surprise crossed her face, and she said, "Really?"

    "Yeah, but she doesn't know that."

    "Why? Because of our marriage? Does she even know you're married?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

    I answered, "She knows that I'm married...I'd be shocked if she didn't. I didn't tell her that I'm in love with her because I don't think she's ready to hear those words from me yet."

    "Christian, not me, not you, heck, not even her is to tell if she's ready or not. You'll only know if she's ready on that exact moment you tell her you love her."

    "What if she runs away when I tell her?" I questioned.

    "If she runs away, then that means she doesn't love you back, and she doesn't   deserve your love. But I don't think she'll run away."

    "Why are you so sure that she won't run away?"

    "Christian, you're easy to love. If you showed her the real Christian like the way you showed it to me, I'm one hundred percent sure she'll love you back," she smiled.

    That sentence sparked a hope in me. Does this mean she loves me?! I mentally shook myself. I shouldn't jump to conclusions. After all, she might still  be in love with that guy. "I still don't want to risk it, Candice."

    She sighed and said, "Don't you know that you're taking a risk as well by not telling her?"

    "How is that a risk?"

    "Well, you love her, but you're too scared to tell her that you do love her when all along she might be in love with you. But since, you won't tell her that you love her, she'll think you don't. So now, she'll move on and try to forget you." After a few seconds, she continued, "Every moment in our lives is a risk. We just have to choose which risk to take and hope that we made the right choice."

    Minutes passed, and she said, "You should really tell her, Christian."

    "I will. Besides, I don't think I can hide it anymore," I replied.

    "I'm curious. who is this girl that has The Christian Knight's heart?"

    "I'm not going to tell you," I said.

    She pouted and said, "Okay, if I tell you a secret of mine, will you tell me her name?" I just smirked, and I guess, she thought that was a sign of approval. She let out a shaky breath, "His name is John...the guy that left me at the altar."

    I hugged her and kissed her forehead. I changed the topic because I think she'll start thinking about him if I don't. "I'm still not telling you her name."

    She slapped my chest lightly, "You're such a meanie." I laughed at her words and hugged her more tightly. Little did she know that all along, she's the girl I've been talking about.