Chappie 12

That Night...

Christian's POV

"So what did my mom talked to you about?" I asked since she already talked to Mom just before dinner.

"Oh, she just wanted to ask if I could sing at a special event. I said okay."

"What special event?"

"The fundraiser for the orphanage at the end of the month."

"What will you be singing?" I asked.

"Love songs," she curtly replied.

"Oh," was my reply... Really, Christian? 'Oh' is the only word you can reply with? Aghh, it was easier when she was the one starting the conversation. I really want to talk to her, but I don't know what to say...Oh well.

Friday, 4:45pm...

Like always, I came to the cafe where Candice sings. This time, I brought a single white rose with me.

I'm quite nervous about giving her the rose. How will she react? Does she even like roses? I feel like a teen-age boy asking a girl out for the very first time.

I smiled as I saw her up in the stage in her yellow polka dot sundress.

"Okay, for my last performance of the day, I'm going to sing 'Marry Me' by Train. By the way, A few days ago, I was asked to dedicate this song to that red-head over there at the middle. Jolene, this is for you," Candice said.

"♫Forever can never be long enough for me to feel like I've had long enough with you,♪♪" she started the song.

Seconds passed, and she got to the chorus part, "♫Marry me today and everyday. Marry me if I ever get the nerve to say 'Hello' in this cafe,♪♪"

As she was starting the second verse, a nerdy-looking guy came up on stage.

He took another mic and started talking as Candice's voice became the background music.

The guy started, "Hello everyone! You're probably wondering why I'm standing before you, and the answer to that is this: I'm going to ask the love of my life to marry me."

The guy continued, "Jolene, a few years ago, I was seated at that very table you're seated at, and suddenly, the most beautiful woman I ever laid my eyes on came through the door and sat next to my table. That girl was you. I wanted to talk to you and ask you out, but I had second thoughts...I mean, look at you, you're gorgeous, smart, and way out of my league because look at me, I'm nerdy, I have braces, and I don't have muscles. But I'm glad I did it anyway because if I didn't, I wouldn't be here right now asking you to marry me. So, Jolene, will you spend the rest of your life with me?"

The crowd expectantly looked at the red-head. She stood up and ran to the man and with tears in her eyes, said, "Do you even have to ask? Of course I'll marry you!"

The crowd cheered as he put the ring on her finger.

The guy grabbed the mic again, turned to Candice, and said, "Candice, thank you for doing this for me."

With that, the song ended, and Candice smiled and said, "No problem. I feel honored to be a part of this. By the way, congratulations!"

Candice got off the stage and stood at a corner. I stood beside her and said, "A rose for your thoughts?"

She looked at me and took the rose, "Is this for me?" I nodded and she smiled and said, "I believe the phrase was meant to be 'a penny for your thoughts.'"

I shrugged and said, "I told you, I like to keep it original."

She chuckled and said, "I was just thinking of how cute that couple was."

"Honestly, I didn't think the girl would've said 'yes,'" I said.

She slapped my arm lightly and said, "Hey, don't be mean!"

I laughed and said, "Relax, Candice. I was just kidding."

"I was confident that she would say 'yes'...I know I would have said yes if I was in her place," she said as she looked at the couple.

Unwelcomed jealousy filled me, and I said, "But you can't cause you're married to me now."

She raised her eyebrows and smiled teasingly, "Are you jealous?"