Chappie 4

Christian's POV

     I'm dancing with Candice as I continue to notice the foreign feeling of the gold band wrapped around my left ring finger. It's official. I'm a married man, but somehow the idea of being tied down to someone, let alone a stranger, does not freak me out as much as I thought it would. However, that doesn't mean I'm completely okay with all of this. I still plan to make a way out of this. So just like in the business world, I will remain detached. No strings attached.

     Candice looked up from blankly staring at my chest to scan the room as we continued to sway. She looked at the lights and her eyes lit up in appreciation. She continued to look at the sea of people before us, and she looked as if a million thoughts are running in her mind. As she was preoccupied, I stared at her face. She's beautiful. No doubt about that, but it's like there's this cloud looming over her. Well I guess it's bound to be like that when you're forced to marry a stranger.

     I wanted to say something to her, ask her what's going on in her head. Even though I decided to not get emotionally involved with this person, I can't help but feel a little bit curious about her. I cleared my throat, hoping to catch her attention as I was going to ask her a question. She looked up at me with her honey-colored eyes, and I suddenly got tongue-tied. I didn't know what to say so I remained silent and blankly stared past her. "It's better this way," I thought.

Candice's POV  

A month later...

        Dinner with Christian has always been quiet. Actually, anything that involves him is quiet and awkward. It's like the air around us is strained and suffocating. I hate it. It's like I'm always walking on egg shells. He's always quiet so I took it upon myself to lighten the mood and put even a little bit of normalcy to our relationship. I started a conversation. "How was work?" I asked.

        "It was okay."

        Wow. You can really tell he knows how to keep a conversation going. I almost rolled my eyes. Nonetheless, I continued, "Have you heard the news? There will be a series of shooting stars tonight."

        "What are you doing?" he suddenly snapped. I gave him a confused look so he continued, "You've been trying to talk to me and make a connection with me for the past few weeks, thinking that you'll make a difference in our situation. Can't you see that this is our norm? We're strangers. We sleep in different rooms, we don't know anything about each other, and I intend to keep it that way."

        I was taken aback from his outburst. but nonetheless replied, "Look. I know you're not happy with this situation, but did you think I wanted this? Did you think I wanted to take someone's last name and live with a stranger? Just in case you didn't know, I didn't wish for any of this. But here I am, and instead of acting like a jerk, I accepted whatever this is, and I'm trying to make it better somehow. I'm not asking you to hold my hand or listen to my late night rants, but I at least expect you to act like an adult and be civil with me. If you don't want to be friends, that's fine, but you can at least acknowledge my existence and not dismiss me every chance you get because, whether you like it or not, I'm already a part of your life."

       He just remained silent, and returned to his room. I guess I'm not surprised. It's always like that. He would come home from work and go to his study room. He would just come out for dinner and quickly go back to his room.

     I sighed. This house is big, but it's empty. This is not my home, but there's no point in wallowing in self pity and such. Tomorrow's a new day. Maybe things will get better.

     I went back to my room and checked my text messages. I smiled as I read the a message from a student. I own a music studio 15 minutes away from here. We do recordings there and we offer vocal lessons and lessons on how to play an instrument. The studio is my baby and being there and teaching is the only thing that give me joy right now. Life ain't so bad after all and I just have to move on.