17. Accidentally Engaged

*****
(Ally said)

Stevie had been busy all week planning for a school program and rehearsing with the students while I had been coming home late from work. We seldom found each other awake at night and today was the first in days.

"What are you working on right now?" I asked her as I kissed her on the cheek.

"Hi love! I am just creating the playlist of all the kids' presentation," Stevie replied, keeping her eyes on the screen.

"'It's a 'Hard-Knock Life' from Annie is a good one. Of course there should be 'Let it Go.' Uhmmm... while 'Someone's Waiting for You,' is a classic," I said peeking through the playlist while resting my head on her shoulder.

"I am almost done with the playlist but I need to put together a two-minute video of the kids. It's a surprise you came home early. How's work?"

"Well I came home early because we are finally wrapping up the due diligence for the acquisition. And right now I just want to celebrate and take my girlfriend on a date."

"Hmmm. Where do you plan to bring her? I think she's busy you must have a very compelling plan." I saw her smirking.

"I made a reservation at this French restaurant in WeHo and there's a limousine already waiting outside."

Stevie glanced at the window and saw a chauffeur standing beside a black vehicle. "Oooh. It looks fancy," she said, looking convinced. But she returned her attention to the screen. I facepalmed.

"Hmmmm. Well... There is also a complimentary massage after dinner from the hottest eligible lesbian in America." I said, not backing down. I was about to reveal the ace I was keeping up my sleeve.

"Now you got me listening. Who could that be?" She finally shut her laptop and turned to my direction.

"Well... she's standing right in front of you.." I showed her I was made cover of Outer magazine, the leading publication for the non-straights.

"Oh gosh! I am so proud of you, Ally!" Stevie finally stood up and hugged me.

"Is that a yes?"

"Does the offer expire? I really need to finish this."

"Hmm... You have until midnight, Cinderella."

*****
(Stevie said)

Ally left the room and entered the shower. I did not want to disappoint her that I clicked on the automatic photo slideshow option, chose a song  and voila--I had a video. I let it render and found myself rushing to get dressed. I went to the bedroom to look for something to wear.

I saw a little black dress hanging with a note saying, 'You don't need a fairy godmother to be perfect. You already are.' I could not help but smile.

Our date was perfect--from the limo ride to the fancy restaurant. The food was great and the ambiance was really romantic. Ally and I talked and talked, letting the other catch up with what had been happening separately in our lives. We savored each second that we were together.

"Thank you for making me feel like a princess today," I said after dessert.

"You deserve all the royal treatment. You are my queen, Stevie." She held my hand and kissed it.

"You know what? I am glad I am dating my best friend."

"Wouldn't it be nice if you marry her too?"