2. I am my Sister by Default

(Ally said)

In less than 24 hours, I shifted my career from an indie artist to the President of the mall empire my grandfather built.

Mel and I had been interns in the company every summer since we learned how to read and write. It was only Mel, however, who took it seriously and worked for it after college.

"Dad, can you retire from your retirement and just go back to run the company?" I asked my dad during lunch before the Board meeting. The Board is composed of Dad, Kimberly, some uncles, aunties and cousins. "Or can Kimberly do it? I can babysit Hera as long as she wants."

"Allison Don... You keep running away from responsibility. We all think it is time for you to take charge," my Dad answered. He is a man of few words but he means what little he says. "You and Mel are named after your grandfather for a reason."

***

For the past three days, I have relearned the history and structure of the company. I have also met with the same department heads who have been with us for the last 10 years or so.

My day is almost over so I sneaked into Mel's personal calendar. No one has dared to sniff through her stuff.

Mel is scheduled to go to Shania Twain's concert tonight. The ticket is pinned on her board as noted on the calendar entry. It also says her she is meeting 'SLB.' The same initials written on the day she was on an accident when she had also scheduled coming out that day.

Mel never came out to our family. She told me she would if she ever finds someone she will truly care about. I guess 'SLB' was that someone.

Since I am basically taking over her responsibilities, I will also use her privileges like this one. I might also meet 'SLB' there and figure out why Mel liked this chick. I am not sure if 'SLB' already know what happened to my sister.

*****
(Stevie said)

I had to leave work earlier than usual. Running a daycare-slash-preschool is not only a day-job. When the kids leave, you have to cleanup, prepare the materials for the next day, update parents who will call, and in general behave well in public.

"Enjoy the date! I hope you and Mel will see eye-to-eye this time," Moonshine, my best friend and business partner, said.

"Thank you, Moonshine! I will cover for you on your next date with Max," I responded.

***

The seat beside me was empty. I tried calling Mel but her phone could still not be reached. I tried enjoying the first set. The good thing about it was I never felt alone with the crowd.

*****
(Ally said)

I decided not to take Mel's seat. I did not even know how 'SLB' looks like. And is it polite to just say, "Hey your girlfriend died on a car accident. I am her twin sister so this is also how she was supposed to look like. I am sorry we were not able to notify you because my family did not even know you exist?"

I know the producers so I was able to get seats for me and Storm, my date. Now that I am permanently stuck in LA, I am planning to seriously pursue her. We had a number of hookups before but our schedules refused to meet.

"Hey babe, I bet the washrooms are vacant by now. The second set is about to start," Storm whispered to my ear and pulled me up from my seat.

We headed to the nearest washroom and locked the door as we started kissing. I lifter her to the lavatory and started pecking her neck. She was unbuttoning my shirt as my hands were all over her body.

"Excuse me?" Someone said from one of the cubicles. Storm and I were so frightened that we jumped away from each other.

"Please come out. Nobody's naked. We were just making out. We're sorry for the trouble," I responded.

A woman came out. She was looking down, avoiding eye contact. "I just need to wash my hands and I am out of here."

I walked towards Storm but was caught off-guard when the woman spoke again.

"Mel? How could you do this to me?"

She was looking me in the eye and I literally froze. The woman is 'SLB' and she is freaking beautiful.

I was speechless as 'SLB' walked towards me and slapped me on my face.

*****
(Stevie said)

I burst to tears as I walked out of the concert hall. So Mel has found someone prettier and hotter and that is why she dissed me. Or am I a fool for not discovering that she is taken all this time and has been playing around with girls she meet online?

My friends have warned me Mel is so good to be true even in the virtual world. I even argued Mel has touched me in a way no one in the physical world could ever have.

But I guess I am wrong.

**********
Author's Notes:

Should Ally find 'SLB' and explain?

What if Ally pretends to be Mel?