5. LA Traffic

*****

(Ally said)

Danny and I were in a coffee shop for a meeting. I hired him as a Marketing officer so we can hang out while being productive. Am I right?

"The commercial jingle is catchy!" I said when Danny played the commercial we were planning to launch. "It is like a short music video."

"That's what you get when you hire a musician for the job. It even saved us hundreds of dollars because we did not hire a PR firm," Danny responded. "By the way, the shops already agreed to contribute to the airing expense."

"That's good. Can we launch the commercial next week?"

"Yeah. We are only waiting for your go signal."

"Then do it."

Danny called his assistant to get in touch with the media networks.

Running the family's mall empire has required a great deal of work. But thanks to our trusted management team and innovative additions like Danny, it has been smoothly sailing. I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

"Can we take a break? You have to tell me more about Stevie," Danny asked as he hung up his phone. "What does she do? Where does she live?"

"I don't think I can tell you enough. I've only seen her thrice. She slapped me the first time. She only cried the second time. And on the third time--" I paused. I tried containing myself from smiling and Danny saw it. He knows me too well.

"What happened on the third time?!"

"Hmmm can I just show you?" I played the Vine I sent to Stevie.

"What is happening here?! I thought you are with Storm?"

"I am still with Storm. She was late during the music video shoot. Stevie was standing-in for her."

"And why was Stevie there?"

"I invited her to hangout. I am just so drawn to her."

"And you were probably thinking during your almost kiss, 'God damn it! Where's traffic when you need it?'"

"What do you mean?"

"I can see it in your reaction right there. You clearly have a certain liking for Stevie."

I could not deny it. Danny just said it for me. "I feel like I am cheating on Storm."

"You got a crush on Stevie. It is cheating if you will act on it while you are with Storm. And if you think you cannot stay away from Stevie, be fair with Storm and end it."

I did not know what to answer but I was saved by a phone call. It was Kimber, my older sister.

"Hey Kimber, what's up?" I said on the phone

"Hey Ally, are you still at the coffee shop?" Kimber asked.

"Yes I am. Why are you asking?"

"Can you pickup Hera at the daycare? I am stuck in traffic and will be there in at least two hours."

"Yeah sure. I miss that munchkin!"

"Thank you! I will meet you at the house instead."

Kimber hung up. I invited Danny to pickup Hera. The daycare was only three blocks away from the coffee shop so we arrived shortly. When I entered the playground, a familiar face was waving at us.

I swear it was another slow motion as Stevie walked towards us.

"Hey Ally!" Stevie said and I snapped back to reality.

"Oh my gosh I know you!" Danny interjected.

"Hi, I am sorry if I do not recall you," Stevie answered politely. "Who are you again?"

"My friend Danny is probably mistaken. This is your first meeting," I said, elbowing Danny. "Danny... this is Stevie. Stevie, this is Danny."

Stevie offered her hand and they shook hands.

"Why are you guys here?" Stevie asked.

"I am going to pick up my niece--" I replied but was cut in by Hera.

"Auntie Lee-lee!" Hera screamed as she ran towards us. She hugged me and I carried her.

"Oh Hera is your niece. How nice of you to pick her up in between your busy schedule," Stevie said.

"Her mom is stuck in traffic," Danny answered. "Because finally there's traffic when you need it!"

"I am sorry I didn't catch that," Stevie replied.

I stepped on Danny's foot. "Danny was just telling you that my sister is stuck in traffic. Do you work here?" I asked.

"Yes. My friend, Moonshine, and I run this daycare. Hera has been our student for a few months now. She is a brilliant kid. It runs in your family."

I blushed but I collected myself. She was probably talking about Mel. "Her parents will be so proud. Oh look at the time! Danny and I have another appointment in an hour."

"Okay. It is nice seeing you again, Ally, and it is nice meeting you, Danny." Stevie patted me on the back--electrifying my body that I almost dropped Hera. Danny was on my rescue and got Hera.

"It is nice meeting you too, Stevie!" Danny answered.

"I will walk you to your car," Stevie offered.

"Thank you but it's okay," I said. "I know you have better things to do."

"Goodbye Teacher Stevie," Hera said, waving her hand.

"Goodbye, Hera. I will see you tomorrow," Stevie said.

Hera, Danny and I walked to the car. Hera fell asleep easily in the backseat.

"What was that about?" Danny asked. He figured something was up.

"I just realized I will have to compete with Mel if I pursue Stevie. And it is the battle I will never win despite the fact that Mel is gone."