I huff into the phone and lean against the wall, glancing at the door that River could walk through at any minute.

"Okay." I tell her. "Thank you."

"Of course." Piper replies.

We hang up and I immediately dial Flea's number.

The phone rings multiple times, but just as I expect to hear a voicemail, I hear Flea.

"What's good?" His voice yells; I can tell he's recording by the jam session that takes place in the background.

"Hey Flea, it's Carmen. Can we talk?" I wonder.

"Yeah, just a second." He says. I hear some slight movement and the loud noise fades away; he must be going somewhere quiet. "Alright, girl. Hit me."

I laugh and shake my head, but soon regain focus.

"It's kind of serious and weird, so I hope it doesn't wreck your mood." I tell him.

"Carm," He starts with a serious voice. "I'm all ears, you have my undivided attention. So whatever you need."

"Ah, okay. Thank you. It's just that River's been drinking a lot lately and really having a hard time. I mean the last few days have been horrible and I think it's time to start doing something." I explain.

Flea sounds understanding.

"We've been doing something for years." He says. "I know you're worried and I know it's probably a lot for you. River's a beautiful person but he's also a mess. He's an open wound; he feels the pain of everyone and that's his outlet to take away that struggle. Do you need me to fly down there?"

I think about it.

"If you wanted, you could. It's just starting to really freak me out."

At that moment, the door knob twists and I turn my attention to it.

Flea mumbles in the background but all my thoughts turn to River as he enters the door; he looks sober and smiles to me when he walks in.

"Did you get that?" Flea says.

I flinch slightly and look down.

"Yeah, thanks dad." I say, covering up for the awkwardness that was Flea and I's conversation.

"What?" He asks, but then gets it. "Oh, he just came home, didn't he?"

I sort of smirk to myself; Flea always got it.

"Yeah." I tell him.

He laughs.

"Here's what you're going to do: you're going to  go about your day like this conversation never happened. Don't talk to him about it or even think about it. Just try to chaperone him and don't let him go out alone, okay?" Flea asks, his voice strong and demanding.

"Okay." I tell him, glancing to River who is now sitting on the couch.

I feel insecure as he watches me on the phone.