Chapter 47: Survival

My sudden shift left me disoriented. Both Steven and Phillips saw the confusion clear across my face before I could hide. A gleam of excitement apparent, shining in their eyes. The change had been unintentional, and they knew it. They knew they had the upper hand. I was no longer the formidable adversary but the prey. Easy pickings.

Mind reeling, I tried desperately to figure out what my next move would be. The throbbing in my head was only making it that much harder to think. I willed myself to shift. Dread filled me, knotting my stomach with the realization that I could not change. My wolf was there but just out of my reach.

Steven's head lowered, his lips pulled back in a snarl. Instinctively I took a step back, needed to put as much space between the two wolves and me as possible. A low growl emanated from behind me, giving the men pause. Mumbling a curse under my breath, I took a deep breath preparing to face a new threat. Fur bristled against the side of my leg before I could react. Griffin stood beside me, a deep rumble vibrating from his heaving chest.

'Get behind me,' Griffin ordered. He stepped forward trying to place his body in front of mine. Putting my arm out, I stopped him. I knew him, I knew how he thought, and I knew right now he was planning on doing something stupid. He looked up trying to understand why I had gotten in his way. I only shook my head. This fight was mine, and I would not allow him to take that burden from me. We would stand together, fight together, die together if it came to that.

Phillips gave his partner a harsh nudged apparently expecting his beta to handle the unwelcomed guest. Steven gave pause before positioning himself to pounce. Griffin was quicker, dodging the brown wolf and snapping his teeth in challenge.

Both wolves came together, focused on the kill. Their bodies were crashing to the ground. Limbs tangled jaws snapping. Each wolf was trying to get the upper hand.

Phillips glanced between me and the two wolves, an internal debate raging inside him. Unsure of whether to help his beta, who was struggling to fend off Griffin's attacks, or exact the vengeance his wolf so desired. A sound drew my attention away from my adversary. Barreling towards me was another wolf. He was only fifteen feet away and closing the distance fast. I ready myself, perspiration dripping down my face as my heart pounded in my chest. A sudden movement to my right sent my heart plummeting. Fear gripping me. The unmistakable shape of a small gray wolf bolting directly into the path.

"Izzy, no!" She was on a collision course with a wolf three times her size, putting herself in danger to protect me. I lunged forward, knocking her to the side. Her claws raking down my arm on impact. Undoubtedly not hitting their intended target. Abruptly my momentum switched direction as I collided with the massive beast. His full weight landing on top of me, forcing the air from my lungs. Gasping for breath my body thrashing under the dense mass. He pressed harder into my chest making it impossible to breathe his claws digging, embedding themselves into my skin.

The wolf snarled at me, his muzzle dangerously close to my face. Drool dripped from his mouth sliding down my cheek. My hands precariously pressed against his neck trying to push his face away from mine. My arms trembled under the strain. I could feel my muscles giving out, losing the battle.

His head unexpectedly jerked back. The pressure on my chest letting up, allowing me to take in a long needed breath. My lungs burned as they expanded. Izzy had her teeth clamped onto the wolf's ear tugging with all her might. Her paws sunk into the moist soil trying desperately to gain traction.

Her opponent was snarling and snapping at her, aiming for her throat. Without hesitation, I rose to my feet jumping onto his back. My hands tangled into the thick pelt. The wolf bucked, twisted to shake me off. My grip only tightened, knees pressing painfully into his sides.

"Izzy let go. Get out of here!" I yelled, needing her out of harm's way. My concern for her must have registered with the wolf because he turned in her direction teeth bared. His mouth open wide set on closing around her small neck.

Panicked, I lodged my forearm into the animal's mouth his teeth cutting to the bone. A scream of agony tore through me. Frantic and in real danger of blacking out I reached for his face with my free hand. My fingers finding his eye. I drove them deep into the soft, moist tissue, feeling a nauseating pop. Fluids oozed down my hand. He released my arm, bucking me to the ground. The injured wolf ran in the direction of his pack whimpering in pain.

I sat on the ground cradling the bleeding limb to my chest. My eyes were searching for Izzy needing to know she was ok. Instead, I was met by the burning black eyes of Phillips. He was bleeding from hind leg, the paw hovering just above the ground. He limped towards me, ears flat against his head. He looked vicious feral even as he stalked towards me. I tried to get up, but my body protested, sending waves of pain through me.

"No!" Izzy screamed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Author's Note~~~~~~~~~~~

150K reads Wow you guys. I am speechless. Thank you all so much.

Where is Griffin?

How did Phillips get injured?

Who will make it out of this fight alive?

Please don't forget to comment and votes = D