Chap. 22 • Farewell

Start from the beginning

There was a comfortable silence between us as we watched our men outside who had no idea who they had gotten involved with.

"How do you know, Xenia?"

My smile fell only slightly at her question. My walls cracked, my eyes watered and my heart pained. I knew what she was asking and I knew it wasn't about her.

"Because no one has ever loved me."

I sat in his seat, playing my hands as I anxiously waited for him to tell him the news. Would be angry at me? Would he force me to stay? Would he forget about me? All these questions rattled in my mind but I didn't have enough time to dwell on it because the doors opened, revealing my beautiful Italian Mafia Boss.

A look of surprise crossed his face when he saw me, closing the door behind him. "Xenia, what beings you here?"

I tilted my head to the side with a playful smile. "Do I have to have to have a reason to see you?"

He chuckled. "I'm guessing no."

He made his way towards me, looking handsome as always with his stunning brown eyes and gelled back mahogany coloured hair, power radiated off him, and he didn't even need to do anything but breathe. His existence was addictive, he was drug I couldn't and didn't want to stop taking. The closer he got, the fear that knawed on my heart melted away and all my thoughts disappeared within a second. Towering over me, Antonio gave me a sly smirk before kissing me passionately, causing me to reach out and grip his shoulders as I replied back with the same passion, whimpering softly when he bite my bottom lip, pulling it out.

"Xenia," I hummed in reply., dazed from the sparks rocketing within me. "What's wrong?"

Snapping out of the daze, I blinked up, his curious brown eyes studying me expectantly, waiting for me to speak but when I tired to I couldn't. The words were stuck in my throat and I knew why. The moment I said them, the plan would be a reality. And the reality was frightening.

"Baby?" He whispered, his fingertips grazing mg cheeks, setting off the fireworks in me. Before I knew it, he was sitting on the chair and I on his lap, his arms around my waist, holding me tightly like he was scared I'd disappear into thin air.

"I have something to tell you, Antonio." I mumbled, forcing the words out of my mouth.

"Which is what?"

I closed my eyes, shielding myself from those penetrating, intimidating eyes which seemed to always be looking further than the colour of my eyes.

"I'm leaving tonight."

There was a moment of silence.

No one breathed.

You could hear a pin drop in the silence that echoed loudly in his office.

Before he could say anything, I pulled away from his hold which he let go of without a fight and leaned against the desk, slowly limiting my head up to see his face expressionless.

"Anto-"

"Why?" He interuppted abruptly, again my words stuck in my throat.

"I-I-"

Sharp eyes glared at me suddenly with thousands of different types of emotions it was hard to pinpoint the exact emotion he was feeling.