Chap.2 • Assignment

COLD air bit against my skin as I made my way into the tall glass building, my stilettos clinking against the marble as I passed the receptionist, sending her a firm nod and she bowed her head down in respect. I could smell the fear off her and that just fueled my power even more as I entered the elevator and pressed the button that led to the top floor.

When I got there, I placed my bag on his assistant's desk along with grey overcoat. She took them without questioning or complaining and rushed away with my things as I entered his office exactly the same time the small hand reached 1.

He didn't look up but a smirk crossed his face. "Always exactly on time."

I shrugged. "I'm precise like that."

Placing his pen down on his desk, he leaned back in his seat, eyes shamelessly flickering up and down my body. "I know I could depend on you for anything so this target is more difficult."

I took a seat in front of the desk, crossing my legs, one leg over the other. "What do you mean?"

He opened a draw and pulled a thin file, thinner than the other files I ever got, then pushed it towards me. I took it, flicking through the pages but there was only three pages and no pictures at all.

"Antonio Moretti. The Italian Mafia leader." He nodded towards the empty feeling file. "Everything you need to know is in that file."

"But there's literally nothing. No numbers, no sources, no pictures." Annoyed, I threw the file onto the desk and glared at him. "How I meant to kill him if I don't even know how he looks?"

"There's a brief description on him in the file and during the event tomorrow night we have an insider that could distinguish him more clearly and will help us, for you to then kill him by the end of the night tomorrow."

"You're running on very low information, Nikolay." I warned and he shrugged carelessly.

"I may be but that's why you got the assignment, Xena." He stood up and walked over to a a book case besides the door. "I trust you with this task."

I got up from my seat and turned around so I could face him. "Are you sure?"

Nikolay raised an eye, his bright green flickering as they read my face but I gave nothing away. "Are you making me doubt my trust in you, Xenia?"

Sighing, I shook my head as I leaned against his ebony desk. "I'll do it."

His wolfish smirk came back as he walked over to me, throwing the book he was holding onto the couch on the side. "I knew I could depend on you."

Nikolay trapped me between his arms, towering over me as I pressed my back against his desk. My infamous seductive smirk crossed my face as his finger trailed down the side of my body before both hands gripped my hips and lifted me onto the desk, pushing my legs wide apart and stepping in between them. The fact that someone could walk in and catch us in the act excited me even more.

"Nikolay," I whispered as I leaned up and grazed my lips against his. "We shouldn't been doing this."

He chuckled, his minty breath wavering over my face, my eyes fluttering shut in delight. "You aren't convincing me."

I laughed as his lips attacked my neck, tickling my skin and making me squeal. "Niko!"

Nikolay laughed before capturing my lips with his, holding my waist as my arms wrapped around his neck. He tugged on the hems of my dress and I pushed him away, surprise covering his face as he began to protest but I cut him short as I lifted my dress over my head and dropped it onto the floor. Nikolay smirked and shook his head as he pressed his lips harshly against mine as my legs curled around his torso, bringing him closer to me.

"Fucking tease." He growled and I laughed as he lifted me up, carrying me over to the couch.

Around 6, I got home and began to pack my things for the journey and any extras if there's any inconvenience. I packed quickly because my car arrived around 7 and I had to set off if I wanted to get to my hotel in time. I wrote a quick note to Coco explaining where I'd been as I won't be seeing her for a while and not be here to greet her back home then I stuck it on her mirror in her room before grabbing my luggage and bringing them downstairs where my chauffeur took them off me and placed them in the boot of black BMW. 

My phone rang as I slipped my wrap coat on so I answered whilst making my way to the car. "Hello?"

"Xenia!" I hear my Mom yell back cheerfully and I winced. 

"Hi Mom." I answered back as I nodded a thank you to the chauffeur when he held my door open. He smiled and closed the door when I entered the car and made his way to the front. 

"What are you up to?" 

"Well, I'm actually off to do another task. Is there anything you need?"

"Is it a crime to call my daughter and see how she is?"

I could already see the scowl on her face and sighed. "Yes it is if you don't call on a regular basis."

"Xenia." She warned and I rolled my eyes. The car began to drive out of the driveway and onto the main road, soon we were heading to my destination.

"What is it, Mother?"

A moment of silence went by before she answered. "You need to be home with your family instead of doing these assignments."

I scoffed. "Dad made it clear that he doesn't want me there."

"Xenia, please-"

"-Mom, we are not talking about this anymore.  Give my love to Roman, I know how much he loves knowing I'm alive." And with those as my final words, I hung up and blinked back any tears that were threatening to fall down my cheeks. 

Vera was my younger sister who passed away when she was 16 as she was diagnosed with leukemia. We were so close, she was there for me with everything but the day her heart beat stopped was the day a lot changed for me. Dad wanted nothing to do with the Mafia and wanted me to stop being an assassin but this job was the only thing that stopped reminding me that my sister was gone.

So my Dad disowned me, I was no longer his daughter. Roman drifted further away from us as Vera was the only person who kept him close with us. From the moment he found about the Mafia, he wanted nothing to do with it and as he grew up, he got himself a degree and began a business, soon he was married. He loved Vera and would do anything with for her but the second she died, he cut his ties with us and left without another word.

I, on the other hand, was kicked out of my house due to the fact that I didn't want to quit my job so Coco took me in and ever since we were 18 it was just me and her. It just goes to show that loyalty was stronger than love, while I loved Coco with all my heart, our loyalty to each other was stronger than that and it was the reason we were such good friends and way we were still alive.

•••

The edited chapters won't always be as quick as this. Some days I'm in the mood to edit, other days I'm not. So bare with me. To be honest, I'm already preferring these chapters over the old ones.

LMB