Chap. 21 • Too Much

Start from the beginning

"Why wouldn't I?"

"That's what I've been asking for weeks, months as well. I didn't understand what made me feel like that. I mean you always answered my calls, you always came to me, whenever and wherever I wanted you to."

I clenched my jaw at his underlying message but didn't respond in fear of slipping up.

"How are you, moya lyubov?"

"I'm fine." I replied cautiously. "Is something wrong?"

"Not at all, just wanted updates on the mission." He replied but I knew there was something else. With my suspicions that Nikolay was a traitor, I didn't want to risk ruining Antonio's plans. So I lied.

"Its been a dead end. There's a couple of men dead but all have reached dead ends, it seems they knew that they were going to be caught and removed any existence of themselves before their existence was actually taken away from them."

He hummed in reply. "Is that all?"

"Was there something I missed?" I answered back instead.

I could almost hear his smile when he replied back to me. "No, not at all. I'll be waiting for your call, Xena. I've missed you, my queen. Hurry with this mission and once you're done, hurry back to be. We have a lot of time to catch up on and I can think of plenty of ways to waste that time."

I ignored the disgust that grew within me when the message became clear to me.

"Understood, Nikolay, I'll be back soon." I whispered.

"See you soon, moya lyubov." Then he hung up.

I exhaled shaking, tucking my phone away into my head pocket, leaning against the kitchen desktop to collect my thoughts. I knew that Nikolay knew I was lying, he knew me too well. But it was the same for him. I knew he didn't call to know about the mission, he wanted to know about Travis and it confirmed my suspicion.

Nikolay was betraying the Russians.

"Xenia, is something wrong?" My uncle asked with concern lacing his tone. Straight after Nikolay called me, I went to bedroom and called my uncle, Alexi, and the Russian Mafia Boss.

"The Petrovs, or more specifically Nikolay, I think they- he's betraying us." I said.

"What?"

I sighed, taking a seat on my bed whilst explaining to my uncle the entire situation and he listened carefully without interuppting. When I was done, I exhaled shakily, a fear rushing over me.

Then my uncle spoke for the first time in half an hour.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, uncle." I said, releasing a shaky laugh.

"I'll look further into the exports and imports in the West and other docks owned by the Petrovs and look further into the situation. But you, Xena, you're in enemy territory. When Antonio finds out who you are, he won't hesitate to kill you. You and Coco. You'll be seen a traitor."

"I know." I whispered sadly, my heart clenching. "Uncle, I have something to tell you."

He was quite for a moment, not answering me that I thought he had hung up.