Chapter Twenty Nine: Dy's Story

I told Suri to leave awhile later, claiming that I wanted a few moments alone.

"I'll come by soon, okay?" she asked moments before her departure, sounding worried. "I'll come here first thing in the morning; you don't need to worry about anything. As soon as the sun is up—"

"Its fine, Suri," I told her, even though my voice said otherwise. I cleared my throat, trying to put some emotion in it. "You must need a little sleep too. I don't know how this meditation thing works, but I'm pretty sure it's not compared to a full night's sleep. Go. Have a little rest. I'll see you in the morning."

Suri nodded, looking like she was doing this against her better judgment. "Alright. See you later, Tammy," she said, using her nickname for me.

I didn't reply, my brain already starting to fog over. I didn't see her leave—or more like vanish, really—but sensed her departure. There was a shift in the atmosphere, and my scalp prickled, making me realize that I truly was alone.

I didn't know how much time passed, back in the trance-like state, but suddenly, I found myself on two feet again, absentmindedly making my way towards the bridge. For some reason, I was haunted by the idea of sitting alone, even though there was no one haunting that particular place except for, well, me.

Some feeling returned to my legs, my head cleared a little, even though I still felt like I was sleep-walking, and I moved forward with a new purpose: The bridge. Go to the bridge. Go to the bridge.

I focused on the mundane task. It was my lifejacket, keeping me from sinking; sinking in the sea of misery and pain and betrayal I was sure was on the way as much as I was sure that the sun would rise tomorrow. I put one foot after another, not worrying about what I would do once on the bridge, but only focusing on reaching there at first.

The moon lit the road in front of me, making everything look like they were coated in silver. Shops, their shutters pulled, passed by in a blur. For some reason, I thought back to the time Tris and I had spent in New York as kids, the vacation we'd spent there with our families. I remembered the way I kept expecting for the bars and the nightclubs to close when it struck midnight, not realizing that midnight was probably the time day for those clubs actually begun.

I remember thinking that the city whole city was probably insomniac—because after all, what other reason would a person have to be awake at one in the morning? The city had been in a hustle bustle even after we retired to our rooms at twelve, and even when I had been trying to sleep and couldn't because the honk of the cars and the shouts were keeping me awake. It was nice, I thought, once my young mind realized that you could call in for food and midnight and no one would decline you saying that they were about to close or that the streets wouldn't be empty after dark.

But I remember feeling relived and at peace after I came back home, waiting for the honking or the sound of an engine starting and being struck with the realization that they wouldn't come. Not having realized how much I missed the peace and tranquilly of Angel Falls.

I thought of New York and thought of Angel Falls, and realized that a person from the city might consider the quiet around me as eerie. But to me, it was peaceful and just...home. My home. Even though we didn't exist on the same dimension anymore.