Chapter 16 - Ball Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

My eyes go wide, "What?! No, I can't." He's already gone. I turn towards Grace and Taylor as my pulse quickens. "Guys, I can't do this. I don't sing anymore. He can't make me do this. I can't do this."

"EMS! Breathe! Deep Breaths, okay?" Taylor says. I start slowing my breathing down. 

Jason walks over to me and rubs my back, "I didn't know you sing." 

"That's because I haven't since Evan died." I close my eyes and try to calm my breathing.

"Guys, I'm sorry. I tried to get him to change his mind but he just won't." Dylan walks over and frowns. I look at him, nod and close my eyes again.

I believe in you, Em. You can go far in the world with that beautiful voice of yours. Evan's words repeat in my head.

My mom comes up to us, "I'll go try talkin-"

"No," I say, "I can do this. Evan would want me to do this." My mom smiles at me.

"I know you can do it. He's already proud of you."

I nod and she grabs my hand. I turn to my friends one more time. Taylor and Grace are smiling encouragingly to me. The guys are all smiling as well and Max gives me a thumbs up.

I walk into the gala room with my mom and she brings me to the stage.

Jason's POV

I watch as she whispers something to the keyboardist and he nods. He walks to the middle of the stage and talks to the rest of the band. I look at Emily and watch as her mom hugs her. They pull apart and she goes onto the stage. A guy comes up and hands her an acoustic guitar. She puts it on and walks to the mic.

"She can play the guitar, too? What other talents is she hiding." Max commented.

"Shut up, it's about to start. I hope she'll be okay." Taylor says. 

Dylan puts an arm around her shoulder and Ryder narrowed his eyes, "She'll be fine." Dylan said then he turned toward Grace, "Right?"

"Right...Right?" She turns to Mrs. Brooks.

Mrs. Brooks smiles at them. She looks at Emily, "I hope so."

We all look at the stage and watch as Emily starts singing. (Play video to see how I imagine her singing it. I typed it all to match perfectly with the song. I would suggest reading it so you don't miss anything but hey, you do you.)

"The sun goes down

The stars come out

And all that counts

Is here and now

My universe will never be the same

I'm glad you came"

She plays guitar for a few seconds before starting to sing again. 

"You cast a spell on me, spell on me

You hit me like the sky fell on me, fell on me

And I decided you look well on me, well on me