06

The sun gleamed down over the lake, light bouncing off the glass-like surface, reflections dancing around the water.

Daniel sat on a rock by the riverbank. He looked down, admiring his long glistening tail. It shone especially beautifully in the sunlight, although not quite as magical as it did bathed in light from the moon.

The prided himself on being different than the others. His siblings had tails of blues and greens, pretty but not stunning.

The scales of his tail where more pearl-colored and the edges where more jagged, like someone had put oyster shells in a blender, and stuck them inside out onto his body.

His sisters told him he looked more like a monster than a merman with his sharp teeth and jagged scales. His overall features were sharper than rest, his ears being more pointer, his fins too. He thought his eyes made up for his sharp appearance. They were a deep brown and had soft edges, and he was often told they were calming.

His siblings didn't seem to notice that though, and made fun of him, calling him "creature of the deep", or "mer-monster".

He didn't mind too much. He always got to play the villain in the games which was kind of fun.

This certain summer he had let his hair grow out, his long brown waves reaching to his shoulders. He preferred it long and liked the way it flowed when he swam.

Right now, no one was swimming, They were all laying over rocks, taking full advantage of the hot summer day.

He watched his siblings, all alike in looks and personality, they were discussing something boring and mundane, probably the weather. Slight pangs of jealousy shot through him. Not enough to be mad, but enough that he felt kind of sad about being constantly left out.

Worst of all, he felt lonely.