The Journey Westward

Lily couldn't go back to sleep after the nightmare, so she decided to get up and wash while the children were still sleeping. As the sun began to rise Lily quickly fried some ham over the open fire and warmed them each a biscuit. After breakfast Anne and Daniel washed up and put away their belongings while Lily hitched the mules to the wagon. The air was still a little chilly as it was early April in the Kentucky wilderness. They had slept in a small grove of trees with a stream nearby. There were no hostile Indians in this area that Lily knew of. Though the threat of bears and mountain lions were great. Being in the western part of Virginia when they had started, it was going to take a while to travel west. As the mules weren't very fast and they stopped often, this was going to be a very long journey indeed. And they were only one week into this wild idea.

Crossing through the mountainous area was hash. To say the least. The rough terrain made it difficult to move the wagon through the pass. Lily counted herself luck though. As she had anticipated the journey would be difficult she planned ahead. They didn't have many possessions to begin with so it did make things easier. The wagon was small, but could hold all they would need. Lily loaded three trunks with their clothing and personal items. Then food supplies such as flour, salt, sugar, vegetables and some fruit, most of which she had dried out to make them last longer. She piled their quilts and sheets to make a bed of sorts in the center of the wagon. This way Anne and Daniel could be relatively comfortable. When they had stopped in this spot yesterday Lily and the children sat upon a blanket and enjoyed their meal while looking out over the ridge line at the beautiful landscape before them. Tress of all shapes and sizes as far as the eye could see in fresh bloom. The colorful sunset of pinks and oranges lighting the horizon and painting the landscape anew, making it seem as though they were in another world altogether. 

The morning passed as most of the week had, slow and uncomfortable. Lily had made an area inside the wagon for Anne and Daniel to sit on. She had folded a quilt for herself as well, but after riding in wagon for hours she wouldn't have even noticed it. At least the children could walk along side of the wagon to stretch their legs. They were both to young still to drive though and Lily had to endure being in the wagon most of the day. "Momma, when are we going to stop to eat? I'm hungry." Daniel asked. "Well," Lily replied, "I believe we will stop soon. I can see a town coming up ahead. We need to get more supplies anyhow. Perhaps, even a peppermint stick for each of you." Lily knew she had enough money to get them pretty far if she was careful. She also knew though that they needed to be settled by mid-July if they were to have shelter and food for the winter. With the slow pace they were going they may not make it very far. As long as they were no longer where they had been, they would be fine. 

Little did Lily know however that they were not alone on their journey. As they continued on the road toward the town ahead dark eyes watched them from the trees. Following along for nearly a week now he was glad they would be making a stop in a town. Maybe they had a decent saloon with cheep whiskey and women. He was given orders to follow. Not to touch. He couldn't take watching her much longer. He needed a release and soon. After watching her wash in the creek he nearly took her then. The money however stopped him. The offer was to great. He needed this money to go out to Texas territory. He would wait here for a few hours then follow on into town. He could send a telegram to his employer from there; then find a saloon.

This is not a town; Lily thought as they pasted by saloon after saloon. The were men sitting around here and there. Some it seemed were sleeping off the night before. Scantly clad women hung off of a balcony. She could feel their eyes following her. This was the kind of place her husband would have liked she thought. Plenty of booze and loose women. Luckily they were passing through during the day while everyone was asleep or still to drunk from the night before. She could hear a fight inside one of the saloons. She knew she must be shaking and surly her knuckles were white from how tightly she held onto the reins. She was glad for the gloves she wore as she didn't want anyone to believe she was afraid.  She sat with her back straight, her shoulders squared and her chin up. Don't let them see your fear. She chanted to herself. "You two keep your heads down. Do not make eye contact with anyone." Lily continued on and left the town. Once the town was out of sight she released a breath she had been holding. "Sorry, but that was not the kind of place we could stop. Let's hope to find another town by tomorrow. We will stop in a bit and eat. Right now we need to put some distance between us and the horrible place.