Chapter 38 - Memories and Tea

ZO'S POV:

I had been staying with Sierra for a year now. She was not only my carer – she was my best friend. She helped me in the mornings, seeing as she always woke early for school. She had blind-girl-proofed the house so I wouldn’t go knocking anything off shelves and she had put markings on certain things. For example, on the floor there were indents carved into the floor from the bedroom, to the bathroom and then out to the lounge room and then finishing at the kitchen where the route would follow itself back to the start.

She let me be independent and didn’t pity me. Although one night I had heard her crying in the bathroom late at night. Even though she would never admit it, I knew I was a burden on her. I was preventing her from living her life and experiencing the things that she should have already.

The one thing in her life that she loved though was Harry. He visited a few times a week seeing as him and the rest of the boys were on a massive break after touring around the world yet again. He would bring the boys over and we would all just chill around boxes of pizza and the television. It was nice. I had made a special bond with each of the boys too.

Zayn and I were ‘disability buddies’ seeing as the group constantly complained that he was hard of hearing and needed to get his ears checked out, Louis was my comedy partner as we were always joking around, Harry was pretty much my brother now seeing as he visited Sierra so much, Liam was Woody to my Buzz seeing as he would always record disney audiobooks for me to listen to and Niall was my cuddle buddy, rant buddy, the works. He has seen me through the hardest of times and had managed to introduce me into a more carefree life.

I wasn’t stressed, I wasn’t nervous. But there was a part of me that missed a certain element of my ‘past’ life. That part of me missed the gentle morning kisses, burnt fajitas, a red leather couch and the smell of vanilla. That part of me missed Ed.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Sierra’s voice interrupted my afternoon day dreams.

“You did look extremely deep in concentration there love.” Harry commented from the other side of the couch, where Sierra’s voice had also come from. 

“Just reliving old memories,” I sighed in response.

Silence followed. I heard the smooth sound of skin on skin and soft pecks on shoulders. The only problem with the pair of love birds is that they thought just because I was blind, I was oblivious to them pretty much making out in front of me. I reached for my cane on the floor in front of me, using it to guide me to the window, opening it and letting in the winter breeze. The pair either hadn’t noticed or didn’t care what I was doing so I continued on with my business. I let my hands creep over the window sill and scrape against the rough texture of the bricks. I breathed in the chilling air as it burnt my lungs. The television echoed in the background but I didn’t notice it until a name was mentioned.

In other news, celebrity singer Ed Sheeran, the composer of songs like A-Team and Lego House has been spotted exiting a strip club in South London at around three-AM this morning. Witnesses say he was still intoxicated even in the early hours of the morning-

My mind tuned it out. He had been going off the rails a lot recently. Strip joints, early morning partying and women… So many women. It was an understatement to say I was disappointed. To make it worse, the media jumped on every opportunity it got to destroy his reputation. I had sat and watched every single rock thrown at his window and even still, he remained unchanged. He never cared about what other people thought of him and I highly doubted that he was going to start caring.

In breaking news, Ed’s family has finally got him to accept their offer to go to rehabilitation. Reporters will be waiting there for a statement later on-

The television was shut off and a remote was slammed into the wall.

“Babe… It’s fine. He will have guards and stuff there – they won’t let any reporters here him.”

“That’s not it Sierra! It’s disgusting! They treat him like an animal! Following him around – waiting for the minute when he will explode just so they can write their next cover page on him…! I just… Ugh!” A loud punch was dealt to the wall, no doubt by the hands of Harry. “I need some air. I’ll be back later love.” Footsteps headed away from me not soon followed by a loud slam of the front door. I stayed positioned at the window, unmoving while the fresh breeze pushed past my face. The quiet was deafening painful.

“I’m sorry Sierra,” I shattered the silence.

“What for Zo?” Her voice was curious but still etched with worry. I never apologized for much. Not when I shattered a glass or when I forgot something. She knew by now that when I apologized that it meant something.

“For Ed - if it wasn’t for me he wouldn’t be like this and Harry wouldn’t-“

“No,” she cut me off. “Don’t you dare pin this on yourself - don’t you dare, Zo.” A pair of hands gripped my shoulders and a head was rested in between my shoulder blades. “This has absolutely nothing to do with you. You have no part in what’s going on right now with him, okay?”

I nodded as I felt a wet droplet roll down my face. I sniffled and Sierra must have taken that opportune moment to look around my head to my face and see me breaking down.

“Not on my watch! Come here,” and with that she grabbed my shoulders, spun me around and latched her arms around my body. She held me close and I did the same, wrapping my arms around her slender frame. I buried my head into the crook of her neck, breathing in her smell. Just her presence alone calmed me but being with her like this, I felt at piece. Sierra was my best friend – she has always been there for me and I know that she would never leave me. “Come on chicken,” she mumbled into my shoulder before slowly pulling away giving my back one last rub. “We are going out.”

“Where are we going?” I questioned as I dropped my hands also.

“Starbucks – Mumma needs her tea.”

I scoffed. “You know that Starbucks is famous for its coffee, not its-“

“Don’t give me that talk missy - let’s just go,” and with that she grabbed my hand as we headed out the door to her apartment towards the café where we spent most of our hours. Good old Starbucks.

a/n:

sierras window on the side
zo looking out
except thats not how zo looks in my head...
imagine curly hair :)

so im dedicating this chapter to my awesome american friend @sierra_chunko
[see a connection with names?]
shes a definite hotti so go check that babe out :)
but yeah
so i thought i would give an extra update now because i dont know the next time i will be able to
school is pretty hectic in australia at the moment
exams and assignments all piled up
im graduating this year - gotta make it count

thank you for chucking us a read though
if you like it, please comment/vote/share?
it would motivate me to update quicker? :)

kisses from me,
xxx