Chapter 6 - Starbucks and Palm Reading

ED'S POV:

The cold air bit at my skin and I couldn’t help but shiver at the feeling of it snaking around my skin. Even with my three layers on, it still managed to get to me. Zo’s grip on my hand tightened and I knew she was feeling the cold too. I pulled her close to my body and whispered in my ear, “don’t worry love. Where we are going has heating.” I looked down at her and even though her hair was covering the expanse of her face, her laugh still bubbled out of her.

“Lucky for you.” She whispered.

“Why is it lucky for me?” I asked with a curious tone.

She laughed again. “If it didn’t have heaters, I would have turned on my heel and left.” She laughed when she finished. She had a cute little laugh.

“Would of you now?” I faked a shocked expression and she looked up and saw it. I couldn’t keep it up for very long. I burst out in laughter soon as well. I glanced at her while we walked though. Her eyes and cheeks had dried from the tears that she had shed only a few minutes ago. Why would have she been crying? She could have stubbed her toe? Was it something deeper than that? Did her pet pass away? Or deeper still? Something close to her maybe. I didn’t want to push it. When she wanted to tell me, she could tell me. I just needed to let her know that I hear to listen.

We were walking hand in hand down the London streets. She was right about questioning whether or not we should go out with it being this busy. The paths were skinny enough as it was and people were complaining and moaning in protest when we walked past together. But it didn’t take long until we were out of the brisk winter air and inside my favourite coffee shop. Starbucks. I pulled off my thick winter coat and hung it on the hanger by the door, helping Zo do the same with her coat. It was so much warmer inside the small shop. But surprisingly enough, the shop wasn’t busy today.

There was an old people couple sitting in the corner of the shop with their lattes steaming away next to their hands and a middle age woman with way too much eye make-up sitting near the counter, having one-way eye sex with the barrister. He seemed oblivious to her move-making though which I found humorous. I turned to look at Zo. She seemed nervous all of a sudden; her bubbly mood had vanished. “What’s wrong Zo?”

She cleared her throat and spoke in a barely audible whisper. “I’ve never been to Starbucks before…”

My mouth dropped. I couldn’t believe it. “Are you serious? You’re a Starbucks virgin?” She laughed at me. Probably at my use of terminology in that sentence.

“I guess so. This would be my first time having Starbucks let alone stepping the doors of the shop.” She glanced back outside where the rays of sun had disappeared by the covering of the overcast weather. I pulled her hand and her attention shifted from the glass door to me.

“Do you wanna go pick a spot and I will get us a drink. I know the best winter warmer.” I smiled at her reassuringly and gave her hand one last squeeze before she headed off to the seats in the corner. I approached the counter and ordered two regular espressos. Since the place was so quiet, it didn’t take long until my order was spat out the other end of the counter with an extra piece of cake. Hold on a second. I didn’t order cake.

I went to talk to the barrister but before I could even get a word he shook his head at me with a genuine smile on his face.

“For you and your lady friend. On the house Sheeran.” I smiled back.

“Thanks man.” I wasn’t a regular in this part of town but he must have recognized me. I’m glad he didn’t freak out or ask for a photo though. I mean, I am so grateful for the life I lead but sometimes people can get a bit possessive about the photos and the signings and everything. Demanding almost. So I respected this barrister. I dug into my pocket and pulled out a a rather large tip. I laid it on the table and quickly snuck away while the barrister wasn’t looking. My reward was a gasp heard from over my shoulder. I didn’t turn around to face him knowing that I would probably want to give him a hug.