Chapter 20 - Songs and Crashes

ED'S POV:

Her top tooth bit down on her plump lip, causing my heart to race. It was so hot. I felt my mind start to wonder and I had to put a lid on it before I was caused to push her up against the wall of the elevator and kiss her. We had both let out our feelings to each other. I felt so much better on the inside now that I had let it out in the open. Like this whole time I had been carrying around solid bricks on my bare back, scraping down and opening my skin with every step but by telling Zo my feelings and her returning them, she shattered those bricks and healed my wounds.

Ding.

The doors behind me opened and Zo smiled, starting her way out of the metal box and out to the lobby. I followed silently behind her, smiling at the receptionist that stood at the desk. She smiled and gave me a courteous nod in return as I exited the doors, into the cold air. Zo was still on the move to the car, obviously keen on getting out of this bitter wind. I didn't wait around either, sticking right to her heels as we moved towards the car. The handle was cold to the touch and caused me to shiver. Zo bubbled out a laugh seeing my reaction.

"Wussy." She mumbled.

"It's too cold f-for this." I stuttered, the cold sinking into my skin.

Screw this. Get in the car Sheeran.

My conscious may be extremely cocky, rude and annoying but he had a point. I pulled open the car door, sat down and slammed it shut.

"Someone is keen." Zo commented. "Too cold for you baby?" She joked, poking my cheek. I swatted her away and started the car. It didn't take long for me to get out on the open stretch. Our apartment wasn't that far away and due to my request, Zo had changed the CD over to Imagine Dragons. We were jamming out to their alternative tunes to distract us from the cold.

I raise my flags, don my clothes, it's a revolution I suppose

We're painted red to fit right in

Woah

I'm breaking in, shaping up

Then checking out on the prison bus

This is it... the apoc-

The words never got to finish. The scraping of metal on metal, of rubber skidding on the road, of bloodcurdling screams, of screeching horns and of a loud and ear shattering crash. Bodies slammed forward, sounds of crunching bones were heard, blood and smoke were smelt, dots appeared in my vision and I blacked out, introducing me to a new sort of darkness. I let it swallow me whole, enveloping me in a scentless, colourless silence.

* * *

My vision blurred as I awoke in an itchy blanket with the smell of disinfectant wafting into my senses. A faint beeping was heard in the background. Was that a heart monitor? My eyes peeled open more to reveal to me a blinding white room. My head drooped to the side to show me a a mini fridge, heart monitor device and a small bench filled with several pills and injection needles. I was definitely in a hospital. I went to hoist myself up into a seating position but a pain erupted in my stomach, causing me to fall back in a loud groan. Footsteps approached me from behind a wooden door that separated me from the rest of this white walled prison. The door opened and in walked a woman in her fifties at least with snow white hair and a guarded facial expression. She saw me and gasped.

"You're awake. We weren't expecting you to wake up for another couple of days!" She gushed, rushing over to me to remove a needle in my arm and replace it with another. The sharp pain didn't last very long and was soon replaced with a feeling of numbness. "I just injected you with high level morphine to prepare you for the evaluation."

"What evaluation?" I slurred.

"Your wound evaluation," she said plainly. "You were extremely lucky Mr Sheeran." The blanket around my middle was pulled down slowly and my eyes landed on long gashes covering my lower arms. They were angry looking and reminded me of the gash that Alice received from the Bandersnatch in Wonderland.

What an analogy, Sheeran.

Even in my drugged up state, my conscious still managed to throw in its two cents worth. What a douchebag.

"I need you to roll over for me love. You received a nasty cut on your back and your stomach and I just need to check the bandages." She smiled at me reassuringly as I remembered the pain I felt when I tried to push myself up only a few minutes ago. "Nice and easy lad, that's the way." She coaxed, placing her hand on my waist, helping my roll. I felt the fabric leave my back and a gentle prodding near my left shoulder blade.

"How bad is it?" I asked.

"Bad enough to get you twenty seven stitches." She placed down the fabric gently, covering the gash from more prying eyes and moved around to my front while I was still resting on right side. "You ready?" She questioned. I nodded and she lifted up the fabric at my front. This cut I was able to see completely. It was horrible and was destined to leave a scar. It was at least a few inches long and ran from my upper rib to my hip. It had several stitches holding it together and I was scared that if I moved, a stitch would burst. The nurse must have noticed my concern. "As long as you don't run, jump or bellyflop anything, these suckers won't burst."

Then it hit me.

"Where is Zo?" Worry must have been dripping from my voice. She sighed and looked down, away from my wound, pulling the fabric back down covering it up. "Is she okay?" She stood up and started to walk away. Hell no. "Excuse me! Where is Zo?" I had started to raise my voice. The nurse stopped in her tracks and turned to look at me. Her eyes were saddened.

"Remember how I said you were lucky?" She almost whispered. I nodded. "Your friend wasn't as lucky as you. She just came out of surgery. She suffered from several broken bones, a punctured lung and serious brain damage. We think..." She trailed off, her voice becoming incredibly shaky.

"You think what?" I pushed. My anxiety levels were rising. What had happened?

"We think that she... she may have lost her eye sight. Her head injuries were very extensive and the pressure of the impact on her skull... Her chances of retrieving her sight aren't very high. She hasn't woken up yet so when the day comes, we shall see." She headed towards the door and I thought she was going to leave. "We are trying our best Mr Sheeran. Don't worry about her. At the moment your highest priority should be your own personal health. Just relax. Please." With those final words, she left me alone to my eerie and scary thoughts.

Zo might lose her eye sight. I felt the tears well and wash gently down my battered cheeks. This was my fault. I was driving the car. She was my responsibility. I should have taken care of her. I smothered my head in my hands and let my body convulse into guilt-wrecked sobs. It hurt but it was what I deserved. I didn't protect her.

hello my little turtles, 

im scared that i might have rushed this a little
meh
i hope you like it either way
pleeeeeease drop me a comment?
i love getting feedback :) 

kisses from me,
xxx

P.s i probably won't be updating until next week ... but if i can manage to obtain 5 votes it would speed up the process ... :D can it be done? 

xx