Chapter 4

Moriarty called a cab for me as he and Sebastian rode off in their own cab.

Poor Sherlock doesn't know what Daddy's up to! -JM

I cursed myself for letting my emotions get the better of me- of course John's okay! Moriarty is using John to refrain from my knowing what he's plotting. What would he need with the government security cameras? That lets him see what everyone's do-

"Mr. Holmes. We've arrived." I snapped out of my Mind Palace and exited the cab, striding toward St. Bart's. Glaring determinedly toward the desk clerks, I demanded: "Where is John Watson? An hour ago he-"

"Room A213, Mr. Holmes." I briskly walked to the elevator for tower A, clicking the button and pacing impatiently. With a ding, the doors opened and I hurriedly stepped in and pressed the button for the second floor. The ride felt like forever as I paced, and I was grateful when the elevator dinged again, and the doors opened. I ran, glancing at each room number until I found room 213, pushing the doors open.

John laid in his hospital robe, tucked into the pristine white sheets- but what bothered me was the sweat that made his forehead shine, and his mouth pointed into a frown. Why John? Why him instead of me? I sat in the worn chair next to his bed, watching his chest rise and fall to his breaths, and hearing the constant beep of the electrocardiogram.

"Sherlock...?" I noticed John's eyes open drowsily as I rushed to his beside. "John- are you in any pain? After a heart attack most patien-"

"I'm fine," he laughed, though I looked at him worriedly. "John. You're not okay- you just had a heart attack." John simply stared at me, wondering what I was thinking at that moment.

"John?"

"Yes Sherlock?"

"After a heart attack, most patients experience chest pain and have to-" John cut me off with a weak laugh. "I know Sherlock, I'm a doctor."

"You've never had a heart attack yourself, John. You don't know." The army doctor laid silently, knowing I was right. He didn't know what it was like, and the treatment he'd have to have if he has a heart disease.

A tall bearded man in scrubs along with two nurses entered John's room, explaining he'd have to have Coronary Balloon Angioplasty and stent surgery immediately. I nodded and stood back, watching John be rolled away. After watching the group disappear into another hallway, I left. The surgery would take about an hour and a half- enough time to go smoke.

----

My hands tremored as I smoked outside the hospital, watching the grey smoke float away with the breeze. I watched the cars go by, and listened to the sounds of a bustling city. On normal days I'd be within it, but today I'm in the metaphorical bubble, having to slow down. John would scold me for smoking, but I currently didn't care. He's the one I'm worried about.

Yes. The great sociopath Sherlock Holmes has feelings.

My phone buzzed- Mycroft. I already knew what he had to say... he already knows about John being in the hospital, and he would remind me about the dangers of emotions. Redbeard, he'd remind me, then I'd hang up without responding. What's the point of answering? I click a side button to mute it.

I click the power button to check the time: fifteen after ten. I still have an hour. Going back to the flat would be boring, and I'd be tempted to get high. I still have to figure out Moriarty's plan. He has control over Britain's security cameras, but why? He could watch everyone and everything, but what makes that so important? He might just be saying that- after all, he seems to think of lower-intelligence people as pets. He might just want to watch people do stupid things. On the other hand, I still have to find the owner of those Converse.

I snapped out of my mind palace as I had given my right index finger a cigarette burn.

"Bloody hell!"

I crushed the cigarette under my heel and jumped off the pavement, striding back toward the hospital entrance. I'll need to run this under water and get a bandage.