Lily glanced at her school books, nudging them into her bag with a sigh. She was going through Nova High's small library for the fifth time but it still meant a thousand books to look at. One of the old books had to give her a clue on what she was, Lily knew she was missing something in those pages, but her hope was fracturing.

"I have a history class, then library the rest of the day." Lily lightly answered, flicking slices of apples and strawberries across her plate. "Nothing special - you?"

Ollie paused in her coffee-making. "Hopefully nothing as well, but you never know with the patients in the hospital."

Lily smiled at her aunt. Ollie was a paediatric nurse in an oncology unit, a nurse to children with cancer. Lily liked to think that her eccentric personality was due to her not-so-eccentric workplace, but also knew not every nurse there had a ringtone of I Like To Move It from Madagascar

"Did Chrissie get the all clear?" Lily asked, mentioning one of the kids that Ollie spoke of at dinner a few nights ago. Her aunt nodded, picking up her cup, turning to face her and froze.

Ollie screamed, coffee flying, and Lily jumped in panic. A large spider, intimidating with only seven legs, was crawling on the kitchen counter towards Lily, and Ollie flailed. Lily yelped, leaping off the stool to the kitchen, mindlessly grabbing her bag and running towards the front door.

She was ready to run out and yell for the nukes.

Ollie, still screaming, grabbed a spatula and started swinging aimlessly at the kitchen counter. The spider flinched, rearing, and Ollie slammed the tip against its legs. 

The spider sprang off the counter and onto the floor, causing Ollie to lose her mind and scream again, running towards Lily by the door.

Lily had a hand on the doorknob and a hand on her schoolbag strap, eyes wide. Her aunt stopped screaming and Lily heard them both breathing heavily. 

"Go to school, I got this!" Ollie ushered with uncertainty, but Lily took the opportunity and sprinted out of the house. When the door shut, she heard Ollie groan. "I don't got this." 

By the time Lily arrived at school, it was almost time for her first class of library time. Keeping her head down, she walked quickly towards the library's safe walls of knowledge. She ignored the quiet ambiance, the side-eyed looks of tension, and found her scuffed shoes more interesting to watch.

The bell, a low-toned vibration that thrummed in the walls of Nova High School for the creatures with sensitive hearing, sounded just as Lily entered the library's double doors. Pushing some of her red hair behind her ears, she sat in her usual spot on a long table with a window view of the schools courtyard. 

Getting out her books, she began to read through the supernatural creatures once more, just in case she missed something which could identify herself.

Vampires:

Vampires are sensitive to sunlight but can venture in the day. While a vampire is young they are almost stricken to night-time activities, and have a natural skill of blending in with shadows. 

They have a heightened craving for nutrients, minerals and vitamins commonly found in blood - because they're 'living dead' they need to drink blood to mimic a faster, normal blood flow. The higher nutrient levels mean they are faster, stronger, increased stamina and energy, but if levels are low it can result in a feral bloodlust.

Ability to eject fangs from their gums, used for puncturing prey. Eyes glow red when threatened.

Lily re-read the description, pondering over the night before. Could she be a vampire? She didn't particularly liked the sun but she was a red-head. That was the only thing that was plausible to her being a vampire though - she definitely didn't project fangs when she was fighting the rogues.